Home Chat General Chat

I have an itch !!!!

2»

Comments

• loonytoonloonytoon Posts: 673
    I couldn't find that on my mtb - and have just trusted the ebay vendor for my road bike..

but had I not been told what size they were I would have counted em ;)

Okay I have some feedback re the helvellyn route

wow.

that bike is a bit more serious than we thought. Basically there is nothing flat and very few sections where you could get a rythm. The bit on the A592 is up and down with short climbs. The matterdale climb is a long drag ie not steep followed by a fast descent to the A66. The St Johns in the vale bit is also fairly up and down on small roads then you have to climb Dunmail raise. This is the road from Ambleside to Keswick with a funny bit of dual carriageway at the top. The descent is dead straight and dead fast - biggest gear possible shoudl give 50mph+ Thn you have the struggle and the great descent to the finish.

The walk is the easiest way up - I have done a similar route on Helvelynn in 4hrs - remember it is a 3000ft mountain.

best of luck.
  • guv001guv001 Posts: 227
    I think I'll need to recce that route (in the car) before I commit to the race. I bet its not that bad really lol.
  • DOtriHarderDOtriHarder Posts: 307
    Hi loon

The majority of road chainsets are 53/39 which when combined with a 12-21 (8) or so will give you almost all the gears you want. If you have the luxery of a 10n speed cassette then 53/39 with12-27 will enable you to climb one side of a barn and then pedal down the other side. The triple often gives you 52/42/30 which is mountain bike teritory.

David

Cheers David,

I figured I could keep my 48 but as this is the outter ring I now figure it wont fit on the inside So I will probably stick (for the rest of this season) with my 36 and buy a 52or53 for the outter... and leave the freewheel as is... I was comtemplating getting a closer ratio cassette but I think I will leave this for next season...

I think my current set up is

36/48 -> 11-13-15-18-21-24-28.

• madnursemadnurse Posts: 782
    Hi Loon !!!!!!! am looking to go up and do a recce in July (my next weekend off) dunno if you fancy giving it a bash befopre committing yourself - more the merrier if others want to come along. Dothe bike in the morning and the run afternoon then maybe a pint ....

Madnurse (phil)
    Its possible though July is stacking up at the mo...

Parties(these are gonna be fun on reduced booze) and the IronBridge Tri... I think I have only one weekend free..and my mates are tring to get me into the manchester to blackpool bike ride though have just looked that is the same weekend as Ironbridge - told em they should be able to average 15mph they nearly spat beer across the bar / at me (wimps)

So will only beable to go for the 8th of July...and that will depend on getting a morning pass...and finding summat for the wife to do whilst on the bike..and can probably rule the run out...

will check on dates 8th sounds possible but was planning on taking bike & wife ... maybe send em both off shopping or is that maybe not a safe otpion ???

phil
    hehe possibly though I can't afford shopping now I have triathlon - Gimp(wet) suit ordered today...
    have checked am off friday sat (7th & 8th)
    okay - I'll let you know...will need to work on the missus but its plausable (be good training for ironbridge)...not sure I am gonna do the Helvellyn yet
  • RewRew Posts: 62
    If you guys are looking to go further how about this for next year?

http://half.ironmanuk.com/

I have thought about doing myself but not sure.
  • BonusBBonusB Posts: 279
    I am toying with the idea of doing an ironman, but that is a two year plan, so most likely I'll be looking at a half ironman event like that for next year. Thinking things through a bnit more no decisions are going to be made until I have tried my first olympic distance event.

One step at a time eh :D
  • JasonBJasonB Posts: 303
    That looks a damned good challenge. I personally will think seriously about doing that. As a challenge definatly
    I only did my first olympic last year at London. Now I want to do a half Ironman.... run before you can walk!!!

I have two olympic distance this year. Windsor in a couple of weeks and London again

The thought of a half Ironman is up there in the list of want to do's. If you'd have said three years ago I'd be doing Olympic distance triathlons I'd have laughed at you...anything is possible
    A friend of mine did his first triathlon on Saturday he chose Ironman Lanzarote. To think that last November he was a non swimmer. Anyway he did it in a very respectable 14 hrs. I know that as soon as I get to speak to him that itch is going to be geting very strong.
    well you best get that cast off and come and play in Helvellyn then [:D]
    Rew - there has been some talk of the UK half on the board for next year...Though it seems Madnurse has gone tonto and wants up a bleeding great mountain this September...next I expect him to put his underpants on his head and stick 2 pencils up his nose.

Guv in our gym there is a cardio trainer that only uses the arms...if the doc allows and there is summat similar at your gym it might be a good option to keep the heart and lungs working until the cast comes off...

Nurse - I am expecting Helvellyn to break both my legs...If I can get do you fancy doing the swim as well?

Cheers for that loon I'll see if they have anything similar down here. Physio says I should be up to swimming as soon as the cast comes off. Doctor says he doesn't want to keep me in the cast a day longer than is necessary. Roll on the 7th June.
    Nice one...7 June - 2 months b4 london plenty of time ;)
    First Tri...Ironman Lanzarote.... 14 hours.....

Did he pass the drugs test!!!!!
    loon - assuming you can make it on the 8th .. would you wanting to do the bike, the run or both ??? anyone else fancy a little walk in the park as a training session on the 8th July in the Lakes ??? not looking at any mad times meerly to do the route before the race in September

madnurse [:D]