Home Chat General Chat

Some Help And Assistance Please

Hello all...been a while, so hope your all having a great season!

Mines gone from strength to strength...so much so, i entred Bala Standard last week....fool!

Anyway, from the usual suspects, i'd like some of your invaluable advice....

Running... things are hurting... my shoulder blades... really hurt towards the end of 10k!! Almost feel like there cramping up! I don't stoop, or not that i thought i did, and i thought my stride was ok?!

Also, Bike, bottom of my back becomes extremly painful... to the point of me really struggling to straighten up after a ride! Pain usually about 15+k in....

So, any thoughts on these would be muchly appreciated....

[:)]

Comments

• transittransit Posts: 163
    I saw noone had replied so I'll let you know my two pence worth. My shoulders get really sore from carrying my arms too high. I ran London marathon a few years back and when I finished and relaxed my shoulders were in absolute agony. Not sure if that is relevant?!

I get sore lower back on mtb, I am advised that it is due the saddle being too high. for some reason this is a common occurence on a mtb, not sure this is due to the relevant position to the pedals or the fact that you are using it more to balance, hmm, just thought I'd better get the ball rolling with theories [8|]
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Have to agree, try relax, relax & relax, cycling & running tends to make us lift our shoulders, shortening the neck ( as does typing on a keyboard he says as he straightens up) & building tension in our shoulders, so run tall, draw your shoulder blades down toward your waist & relax.
  • epacseepacse Posts: 92
    Hi.... thanks for the replies....and yeah, any advice is better than none! [:)]

I shall adjust the shoulders again, do try and keep the arms moving, and try get more upright!

As for saddle height, i;d heard that, and had adjusted the saddle height down, so maybe i should take it down little bit more.... [:)]

Ok, well, thanks again, appreciated....

• BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Sorry, I ignored the back pain bit, do you do any core stability training or balance work? Worth a go if not, if so then maybe change what you do. I have loads of exercises but would rather work with than send a discription that may confuse & make things worse, or be no help at all! Some of the 220 articles have been OK for guidance, if not find a gym instructor who knows his/her stuff (rather than core being their latest buzzword until the next one comes along.) I can give you some simple start of exercises that really could not be simpler if you would like..let me know.
    Britspin wrote:

Sorry, I ignored the back pain bit, do you do any core stability training or balance work? Worth a go if not, if so then maybe change what you do. I have loads of exercises but would rather work with than send a discription that may confuse & make things worse, or be no help at all! Some of the 220 articles have been OK for guidance, if not find a gym instructor who knows his/her stuff (rather than core being their latest buzzword until the next one comes along.) I can give you some simple start of exercises that really could not be simpler if you would like..let me know.

Hi....appreciate the reply! I do gym work twice a week, but with no assitance as it's the work Gym! Great kit, no help!

Any help would be great, as i know i don't do enough of the core work, and if i attempted it, i know it would be incrrect, and probably end up causing me more pain than good!!

• ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    Pilates - Not all ladies in tights, we have a boys class at our gym and an excellent instructor, Tracey. A lot of it is posture and core strength. She reckons that boys seem to think that exercise is not doing any good unless it is punishing, she despairs at they way they train at the gym and that the majority (especially ex-forces) do sit ups and push ups incorrectly (she is not a staff member but an independent contractor so can't interfere). So with greatest respect Epacse you could be doing more harm than good at the gym.

For some time I had been getting shoulder pains and over the last 2 years this had been getting worse. For 6 months I was dropping painkillers 4 times a day and at times having to sleep sitting upright. Put it down to getting old and a car accident I had 20 years ago in New Zealand (broken ribs and shoulder blade, 3 weeks later dragging canoe over rocks at Kathryn Gorge Australia and a week after that diving on Barrier Reef - stupid or what?).

Tracey helped correct my posture which helped tremendously but still getting painful twinges, she kept nagging me to get help. Eventually went to my GP, got X rayed, result spondylitis, got a memory foam pillow - wow! Within days pain had disappeared. Thought even more about my posture at work and touch wood now feeling great. 7 months later I am at last able to start doing weights so now hope to improve dramatically my upper body strength which for years has been weak.

As mentioned before if you use a VDU and you are bending your neck down you are setting yourself up for a bad neck, back and shoulder, eye level should be no lower than the top of the screen. I am mindful of my posture when running and find myself running faster, also have no problems staying aero for 20 Kms on the bike.

Off on a tangent, my wife, Rita, came to watch me at the Nottingham tri and remarked how the elites were all muscle and didn't have a speck of fat, tried to point out bit of a difference between 51 and 21 but she is having none of it. Has engaged Tracey to do some personal training for next season converstaion went as follows: Rita 'John needs personal training for next season, you have my permission to be brutal' Tracey 'oh good!' Groan - I'll either be super fit next season or dead.
  • Hey epacse - well done on the Bala entry - maybe see you there!
    Zacnici

thanks for some more advice, i'm really not sure what it is, but will try anything!

legalbeagle... i know, WHAT have i done!! I'm still not sure i should have, although, with the chq cashed and the entry confirmed, guess it's to late now!!

Supposed to be a great event, it's organised by the club i'm a member of, and some of the guys i train with, did last years! Said it was good, although, they had to cut the swim by 500, because of the WAVES!! WAY!!

But i know the roadfs around there, and theere lovely, so scenery if nothing else! [:)]

i am hoping to get some pre swims in bala these next few weeks, believe it's cold!

We'll have to think of a way of trying to say hi...shall i wear a big flower on my wetsuit?! [:)]

• Oh I'll be easy to spot - I'll be the one at the back with a bright red face!!

Here's hoping for better weather than last year...
    legalbeagle wrote:

Oh I'll be easy to spot - I'll be the one at the back with a bright red face!!

Here's hoping for better weather than last year...

[:D] i'll be the one at the back still deciding to do it or not?!?! Ooo, shall i, shan't i, shall i, shan't i..... [:)]