Home Chat General Chat

Fourth discipline to be added to Ironman - called 'Registering for the Race'...!

It is a bit odd that out of 1,500 or so spaces often so few are for overseas entry..... I'm doing canada sunday week- they only have 50 places but we managed to email through and get a place (by literally emailing the second the race started - they were very specific about that!).

You could be a bit sneaky and find a friend who lives in the US and just register at their address? You only need to show photo ID to prove your name at most of these events....

Comments

• jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    If you want to compete in an Ironman your choices are limited to:

a)staying up alnight and trying to complete the online entry before either your computer crashes or 1500 other people beat you to it.

b)Entering a harder event that takes time to fill up i.e Lanzarote or switzerland.

c)speaking nicely to the organisers in the hope of an international entry

d)Marshalling the previous year at the event you want to enter so you get the option of entering the day after the race.

e)always doing the same event and entering the next day.

Qualification for Ironman events/slots have been around for a couple of years in North America.

If it starts to hack you off their are plenty of Iron distance races around that are cheaper but don't neccessarily have the M dot Status.

Anyway Conehead I would have thought your celebrity status would guarrantee a place at any race.
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    So there it is..the answer...'Why have you never done an Ironman?'....well I have tried & tried & I just could not get in....maybe next year...'
    In the editorial in 220 this month the 'editor' asked where triathlon was heading due to its popularity.Small events that used to be run by clubs have been taken over by event organisers who can charge what they like for fees.If the popularity of the M dot races continued it will go the way of the London Marathon with entries being on a lottery basis or Golden ticket charity place unless you can get automatic qualification by finishing an Iron distance race in under 9hrs for men and 10hrs for women(with a large number of entries under the name of McCormack or Wellington)

But with the royalties from Coneheads new book he will be able to outbid everyone for the Kona WTC entry on Ebay.
    Conehead wrote:

I'll just buy the WTC.....

Cheapskate!!!!!!