Home Chat General Chat

Triathlon teams, yes or no??

Ive recently finished a 70.3 at Aberfeldy which all in all was a great event. The thing that niggled me a bit (and one or two others by the sound of it) was there being approximately 50teams. Correct me if Im wrong but isnt triathlon all about one person completing three disciplines? Or am I just being a party pooper? Interesting to know what the views of the nation are [:)][:)].

Comments

• Well, having entered my first race as the "swimmer" in a team I can't say I mind too much. I know what you mean about it being a race where one person does all three parts but entering as a team is often a way to encourage people to just have a go. It worked for me! I'm doing my first Olympic in September. I know a good number of people who have entered the sport the same way and become Tri addicts, so I guess I'm in the "yes" category.
  • transittransit Posts: 163
    I think it is hard to put it under the Triathlon banner when people are doing only one part of the event..surely you are doing a swim, bike or run?

....However, anything that gets more people involved in sport I think is better and I am keen on team sports so overall I give it the thumbs up. At the end of the day the teams shouldn't be any hinderance to solo competitors cos theoretically you're only racing yourself.

In addition, at the end you can stand/lie there looking smug thinking " I have the power of three of you mere mortals!!" or something like that [;)]

I'm looking fwd to the Cleveland Relays in October where teams of 4 have to do all three disciplines, 1st opportunity for a team time trial/individual pursuit scenario...Bradley Wiggins beware!
  • I sort of agree when the team results get posted in line with the rest. So an individual who did all three disciplines can get beaten by a team of three doing one each. Their results should be classed as a seperate race but in all Im in favour of the team thing (though doesnt appeal to me because I dont see the challenge).
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    Whilst entering as part of a team may be a route into the sport for some people I fail to see the satisfaction to be gained from 3 people at an experienced/elite level whooping the arse of someone who swims bikes and runs. What will we see next, a marathon with teams of 4 doing 10K each?
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    Yes for teams provided each member swims,bikes and runs.If the team race is done as a relay then their results should be separate from individuals.
  • transittransit Posts: 163
    Zacnici, they don't do them (marathons) with 26 people teams do they?

On a bike forum I frequent one young lad was discussing time trials and how far he'd gone in two hours. Everyone reading it was really impressed. He later revealed they were in a team of seven doing laps.
  • mptrewmptrew Posts: 3
    I think teams are a definite positive.

I have done the swim leg of the last two London triathlons and will be doing both the individual and team next year.

I would agree that the results should be seperated though as this is truly a different competition.

• Yeah you're right they are different events really. Teams are good but its a totally different discipline. You cant really class transitions for example as each racer in the team is ready for their certain leg of the race. I have done only two events so far but teams were classed with the rest of us pushing our positions further down which i found a tad unfair. even if i still wouldnt have won or anything its not a fair account of where you are in relation to the other individuals.
  • I'm 'just' doing the swim in an HIM in september i did the whole event last year but found that i was in too much pain afterwards to enjoy it! so i decided to take a step back this year. this event only allows 10 teams to enter. i also know of poeple who have done just one thing because they are injured and can't do all three...
  • mptrewmptrew Posts: 3
    On another point, my wife came to London to support me this year and loved the occasion so much that she wants to do it with me next year. BUT she really isn't a strong swimmer and wouldn't entertain 750m in the Thames (that was a difficult swim this year, choppy and I got kicked so hard in the face by a breaststroker that I went dizzy).
  • hound doghound dog Posts: 293
    Interesting... Personally Im all for encouraging people into the sport (or obsession[;)]) but feel it should definetly be seperated,this was a scottish championship tri. Another point being its bloody hard work trying to pace someone on the run only to find out that is all they are doing lol.

I also think there should be a strict limit on team numbers, but as some said previously anything to get people interested can only be a good thing.
  • I can see the benefit of allowing teams for sprint and olmpic distance just to get people involved and maybe give them a taster of our sport without having to do all three disciplines. I don't see the need for them at 1/2 iron or above though unless it is just a relay race with all team members doing all the diciplines at different times !
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    The race I did last weekend also had a 'trio-teams-wave'. They had a wave of their own 2 hours before the start of the race for the real triathletes.

Let them have their trio-triathlon, as long as they keep the waves and results separate, Idon't mind.
  • Those who have seen my other comments re breast stroke during tri will not be surprised by my comments on this subject! Alas I am a tri purist and I think team entries (aka relays) should be regarded as a bit of fun aside from the more serious endeavour of one individual performing each of the three disciplines consecutively, which is actually what triathlon is and ought to remain (discuss / rant as you please..!). Sorry for being a party pooper!
  • I did my first tri event last year as the runner in a team. We all agreed it was rubbish as effectively we each paid £60 to do a timetrial. I felt a total fraud on the run too, whizzing past people who had obvious jelly legs.

The only plus is that it made me feel so bad I resolved to learn to swim and give the real thing a go.

I agree with some posts above that certainly results, and I would say the event, should be kept seperate from solo athletes.
  • Hi y'all,

Definatly don't agree with having relay teams mixed in with the individual race for reasons already mentioned.

If mixing teams & indiv. is necessary, could a solution be for organizers to mark team members with a different coloured number or even a 'T' on the calf in marker pen.

May help stop indiv. in blowing themselves to bits trying to follow a team rider/runner.

E.T.
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Also good training if injury prevents one participating in one or more element of triathlon, give teams adifferent start time/wave & what is the problem?
  • triadtriad Posts: 62
    Teams is how I started. Was good induction, orientation and learning. Keep teams in, keep times seperate. Many people would not even think of Tri if it weren't for teams.
  • en51nmen51nm Posts: 41
    I think the team event is a great idea, although I agree with previous posts about the times being kept seperate. I wonder how the race fees work for a team entry? Do all three perticipants pay for one position effectively?
  • In this particular event the teams paid more which also helps with revenue.