Home Chat General Chat

exercise bikes??spin or standard

Only in my second year of tri and like most find it difficult fitting in training between work and family. I have space in office for exercise bike, not turbo trainer, but which one?? Should i go for a standrd gym bike that has set programmes to follow making training more interesting / motivating, giving lots of useful feedback such as rpm, watts, heart rate OR a spin bike with freewheel chain drive, very realistic action, but no programmes less info feedback??

Comments

• BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Personally I would go with the spin bike, most have better adjustability than 'exercise bikes' & can be set up closer to your real bike position, you can also switch out the supplied saddle (tractor like shape) & fix a proper saddle again if it is the same as you race on then so much the better, then you can porfile your own sessions to suit, follow spinervals or some such similar routine.
  • BEEFBEEF Posts: 43
    Not sure if you have any contacts at sports centres or health clubs but Star Trac have recently emailed out an offer to previous customers which offered the following:

Buy 2 Spinning bikes at £399 and get a third for £99.

It appears they are selling off stock of the 07 Spinners so youmay be able to contact them direct and "make an offer"

Or if you know of any clubs looking to buy new bikes try to persuade them to seel you the 3rd one!!!!

Cheeky I know but worth a try [:)]

A couple of tri guys I know use spinners as opposed to turbo's or rollers and say that their strength development has improved considerably.......
  • Yon, Go with a spin bike. I've used one for the past two years in preference to a turbo trainer and found it too be excellent. It would certainly be more robust than an exercise bike. If you can, pair it up with a TV for Spinervals. Normally plenty of spinbikes to choose from on eBay, but pick carefully - the Kenny G spin bikes or similar are a good bet.
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    That would be Jonny G..unless you get a free curly haired sax player with every purchase.