Home Chat General Chat

1st time Ironman '09 recommendation?

Can anyone reccomend an Ironman event in Europe preferably round about Junly 09 to enter as my first attempt (ie not to severe). Thanks.

Comments

• CalimaCalima Posts: 35
    I would have suggested IM Germany (Frankfurt) but that sold out within hours of opening, so plan B is look on www.ironman.com web site you will find all the races & dates. Not to do would be IM Lanzarote, but there are other races of the same im distance run by "Quelle" like Quelle Roth or the new one for 09 is being held near Barcelona in October.

• BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger...
  • blaiseblaise Posts: 23
    Just stay clear of Lanzarote as your first one - the bike ride is pretty brutal. All of the others will have their own little aspects. None of them are easy. Austria meant to be pretty fast, but most events fill up almost immediately!
  • hound doghound dog Posts: 293
    Thanks for that, I was hoping to get Austria but it was full. By saying not too severe I meant something li9ke Lanzarote, but Im definetly expecting it to be hard.
  • notmilknotmilk Posts: 35
    I really like the idea that you marshall one year so you can enter the next. This seems good, as it must be hard getting all those marshalls to stand around all day making the competitors comfy.

The only drawback is the expense particularly if it's abroad...

But I suppose two holidays in Kona would not be a bad thing :)
  • Come on, you want to be an Ironman. It's meant to be severe!!

Don't poh poh Lanzarote as your first. As long as you put in the training on hilly terrain, you'll have great fun spinning past people on more expensive bikes.

Have to say it is well organised and the bike course is awesome and not that hard!!
  • triadtriad Posts: 62
    when I asked the same question recently, various posts mentioned Switzerland, I believe that there are still spaces....I've checked out the site - it looks like a very cool course.