Home Chat General Chat

FC Breathing Problems

Hi everyone,

I have a question concerning my FC breathing. Since starting back at swimming for my first tri event I have found that I have a weird probelm with my breathing. I find that after 400m or so of swimming I become very bloated and full of air! It's like I am eating the air instead of actually breathing it. Am I a one off case or has anyone else had problems with this or knows anyone who has??

Thanks in advance for your help!

Nick

Comments

• bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    do you exhale during the last stroke before inhaling. Sounds silly, but you actually should exhale actively to take in sufficient fresh air.

Just a thought.
  • en51nmen51nm Posts: 41
    I find myself exhaling the whole time my head is underwater. I breath bi-laterally on every third stroke and find that to exhale all of my air i have to start breathing out almost as soon as I've finished inhaling.
  • TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    Is your breathing relaxed? You should breath as you would if you were on dry land, not too forceful or through pursed lips. Just let you jaw relax and drop to its natural position.

If you are breathing out too forcefully you are going to be taking in too much air causing an acid/base imbalance in your blood, which will make you feel a bit sick, and possibly a bit bloated.

remember you are breathing every 3 seconds with bilateral breathing, so you should be topping up the oxygen in your lungs rather than trying to breath it all out and back in again.

• TommiTri wrote:
    If you are breathing out too forcefully you are going to be taking in too much air causing an acid/base imbalance in your blood, which will make you feel a bit sick, and possibly a bit bloated.

Wow, you learn something everyday – this explains a lot, and hopefully will change a lot in my swimming… Thanks...
  • transittransit Posts: 163
    That is a good explanation. My only thought was that you might be swallowing water too and then getting bloated like when you gulp down a drink, bbuuuuuurrrrrpppp! Think Tommy's is a better theory!
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    I used to take in too much air, but slowed down by breathing rate as I became a more efficient swimmer & breathe in less air, not trying to fill my lungs but get enough to keep me going until the next breath.
  • en51nmen51nm Posts: 41
    Just as an update, I've started breathling less, mostly because I spend less time breathing (if that makes sense) which seems to have helped. I used to be quite forceful with my breathling but taking TommiTri's advice, by not being to forceful has helped alot! Hopefully it will all come together for the race, I've concerntrated quite alot of my training time into the swim so fingers crossed it will all go okay!