Home Chat General Chat

Any advise for a UK Newcomer

Tri addict arriving with work from Canada - what's the Tri scene like in the UK?

Comments

• madnursemadnurse Posts: 782
    Hi CanTri - dunno how things compare to Canada but if you look around you will find races on up and down the country perhaps less middle & long distance but enough to keep most busy.

http://www.triathletes-uk.org/ is a good place to find out events and other stuff

madnurse (phil)

• CanTriCanTri Posts: 4
    Cheers - relocating to Henley-on-Thames and there seems to be a few races in the Oxon, Berks Region..... What's the story with all these swimming pool swims? Is the water really too cold?
    didnt you see the sign as you passed through customs - "welcome to sunny england"
    I thought open water swims were how most people got to and from work in the UK!
    fair comment ! - seriously though there are plenty of open swims if you look mostly lake or river not so many costal. what is the tri scene like over in Canada then (am guess good as you have lots of lakes)

phil
    Tri scene is very strong...... 3 major races series for age group and pro atheletes in ontario alone consisting of approx 36 races from June to Sep - when the water finally thaws.......
  • JasonBJasonB Posts: 303
    Lat time I went to Canada (Ottawa) I iceskated up the river the water so cold. So you should feel like the water is bloming hot here.

One thing you may notice over here is how expensive tri kit is. So buy an extra bike or two, and sell them over here. Might pay for the relocation costs lol, unless your company do. I was over there with 3M.

• JasonBJasonB Posts: 303
    Ohh by the way. Canada is one of the places that not many tourists go to. But by christ it is one of my favorite spots in the world.

I went looking for bears, but couldn't find a single one. Gorgeous country though.

We had a one Canadian working for us, and it wasn't long before he got annoyed with so many roundabouts, and the fact in hotels, or second floor is what you call your first floor. We have ground floor then 1st floor, you have first then second. I am sure you will see what I mean.

Hope you enjoy England, but make sure you visit my homeland Scotland :)

• jazdogjazdog Posts: 223
    Hi CanTri,

Can't agree enough with JasonB... you need to come North and get out of the smog, although I suppose depending on where in Ont. you come from it might not be too bad.

If you're looking for a halfIM open water swim the best for history and scenery must be the Orkney one in Sept - not done it myself but it looks great.

http://www.orkneytriathlon.co.uk/GH_ShowArticle.asp?HID=7&CATID=

Enjoy the UK!

Jazdog