Home Chat General Chat

Swimmers shoulder

in oct 06 I had an operation on my right shoulder to correct an impingement. All went well and by Feb 07 I was back in full training. All was going OK until my coach trippled my swim sessions and distances! My shoulder is now complaining again - can the bone grow back that is taken away during the operation? What should i do? Should i carry on training as i only have to keep going until october and then can get it sorted or should i seek help sooner?

Please help!

Comments

• BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    Golden rule #1: if it hurts, back off or stop.

Golden rule #2: Ask a doctor.[:D]
  • Thanks! I did try not swimming for a while and in all fairness my shouler still gives me agro so i figured as it hurts regardless i may as well carry on
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    I did the very same thing... carried on regardless. Now I can't swim more than about 400m. I'm having to leave my shoulders alone for a month, then start some strengthening weights, then get back to gentle swimming. If it continues to hurt I'll be in for surgery.

Did you back off for long enough for it to heal, or just a short time? I'd be very careful about doing permanent damage, but if you can ease up and make it through to your target in October (is it an event, or is that the soonest you can get it seen to) then I guess the choice is yours.