Home Chat General Chat

Phelps: The most awesome of diets.

I could never be a fan of an American who can win more gold medals than the whole of GB put together, but I have nothing but awe of his eating regime (and of course his training that accompanies it, you can't forget that, otherwise he'd be a fat hefferlump).

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2008/aug/14/michaelphelps.swimming1

12000 calories a day! Awesome.

Makes me feel better about that post-swim lump of brie I munched this morning.

Comments

• TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    That is quite incredible! I do wonder sometimes if I am eating enough, how the hell does he burn it all off? I dont know how he eats that breakfast, I can stomach a bowl of porridge before swimming at 6.30, then an egg after it and I'm full till lunch!

maybe thats why I'm not that good, to Mcdonalds quick sharp!
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    The issue here & I am for once being serious..how does he find time to train?
  • Jelly legsJelly legs Posts: 278
    I'm sorry but thats just nonsence.

For two reasons,

1, no one could eat that amount of shit and still be able to not sit on the loo for 5 hours a day.

and

2, every serious or not so serious athlete knows to work to your maximum potential you have to eat at least 6 times a day.

Every good nutritionist would tell you that.

If i,m wrong i'll eat my speedos
  • nivaghnivagh Posts: 595

I vaguely remember a programme before last year's boat race where a reporter tried to keep up with one of the Cambridge eight through a day (without all the exercise) - he simply couldn't eat the quantities this guy was packing away!
  • sfullersfuller Posts: 628
    I doubt thats his diet. I know a couple of athletes and there diets are finely tuned and have nothing like that. its bull crap.
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    Seems more some kind of sensation-article than a true survey of what his diet is!!

• NKOTBNKOTB Posts: 20
    Must admit, it does sound more like the diet of an Englishman doing an impression of a sumo wrestler!
    Nowhere near enough quality nutrition in there..if sports nutrition was purely about getting calories in as this diet seems to suggest, then I'm off to a burger bar now eating my takeout pizza as I go..
  • Jelly legsJelly legs Posts: 278
    and where is his chuffing porridge
    I dont think americans would eat porridge, unless Mcdonalds sold it of course.
    '..Porridge please'......'Huh?'...'Ooops sorry, a bowl of oatmeal please.'..'Coming right up'...I paraphrase, but a conversation I have had in the US. They do sell quaker oats, in huge drums too.
  • yeah agree with britspin, benny, sfuller etc on this one. What a load of cr*p. According to the article for breakfast he consumes at least 10 whole eggs (if u include the pancakes). The amount of cholestrol he would be building up as a result of those eggs alone would lead to serious heart problems. Possibly he eats this many egg whites but certainly not the yokes as well. The article is purely sensationalism and the person writing it should question their intelligence before writing stuff like that. A tour de france cyclist will burn more calories per day than Mr Phelps when in full training and i'm sure they dont even consume 9000 calories..let along 12000. Agreed he is the best swimmer in the world but i doubt he consumes a significantly different amount of food from any other elite swimmers!
    Did you see that press/TV article about the orca at Sea world 'watching' Phelps on a big screen & 'emulating' him by swimming up & down his enclosure. Same PR firm I guess raising the Phelps value to sponsors/advertisers etc. The BBC trotted it out no comment, no qeustions..altho' light heartedly. Can Orcas even see TV? Would you pay to go to Seaworld to watch a whale watching TV? Does said Orca then think 'swimming..waht an idea, I will have a go at that, see how fast I can go. So obviously crap, but still reported, but the nutrition story just trotted out. The closest to analysis I saw was a journalist attempting to eat that amount...he failed wouldn't you know.
  • toadtoad Posts: 104
    Did anyone see the BBc interview of Phelps in london yesterday, the man himself said that the article on his diet had been sensationalised.
    really? thats quite interesting. That diet was quite stupid. I think the fact that one article quoted 12000, another 10 and another 9 I started to think it was a bit iffy! The fact that tour riders take in about 6,000 i think and not to say swimming isn't as taxing on the body but i think they will be expelling more energy climbing mountains!