Home Chat General Chat

neewbie

Decided 2 wks ago to do a triathlon.... decent swimmer, crap at running and ok at biking. bought a claud butler san remo 2008 today, didn't want to spend a fortune on the bike so piked it up for £310 so i felt that was ok.

any ideas on where and what to do now????

Comments

• triadtriad Posts: 62
    Given that 08's season is nearly over, I'd suggest staying up to speed with 220 magazine, The British Triathlon Federation website and the net in general concerning 09's UK Triathlon schedule, so that you can plan for your first race perhaps in April 09 when the season really starts. My first Tri 6 years ago was a pool based (as opposed to open water) sprint in Stratford. Was a good intro. I'd then think about base training. Get your basic fitness up to scratch until the New Year but work on your running. You said you're a string swimmer, keep at it. With cycling, perhaps there is some learning you can do on technique. 220 does some great articles on techniques. Maybe even take a running lesson. It's hard to believe, but running technique can make a huge difference. In the New Year I'd suggest finding the right plan that leads up to your first Tri. You can do this on-line or by using various books. Perhaps you might have enough spare time to join a club - unfortunately I don't. Keep an eye on the Forum for great tips. Whatever you do, have a great time. I'll never forget my first finish. Congratulations on joining the best sport in the world. Awesome.
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    How about a Super Sprint, 250m swim, 10Km bike and 2.5Km run ... easy peasy with basic fitness

http://www.britishtriathlon.org/events/results.php?pageNum_events_search=1&totalRows_events_search=22&event_name=&month=&type=Super+Sprint&region=&postcode=&Submit=Search

But it depends where you live

You could try a Sprint, just take it easy on the run, aim to finish

http://www.britishtriathlon.org/events/results.php?event_name=&month=09&type=Sprint&region=&postcode=&Submit=Search
  • BEEFBEEF Posts: 43
    shadowone1 wrote:

Decided 2 wks ago to do a triathlon.... decent swimmer, crap at running and ok at biking. bought a claud butler san remo 2008 today, didn't want to spend a fortune on the bike so piked it up for £310 so i felt that was ok.

any ideas on where and what to do now????

Morning Shadow!

I'm kinda in the same boat as you......

I have my first Tri coming up at Stratford in October so getting nervous now.

Went through a distance brick session today (400m swim, 45 minute spin, 5k run) and felt suprisingly good.

I'm gong to look at the events calander today and pencil in some events for spring-summer next year so I have some targets to work towards.

There sem to be plenty of generous and patient people on the 220 forum so loads of helpful advice around.

Good luck!!!!

BEEF

• shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    hey,

Thanks for that. I don't really have much spare time to join a club, but my overall general fitness is not a problem. Having done thai boxing (amateur level) for 11 yrs I'm in decent shape. I'm starting proper swimming lessons next week to get my breathing sorted out. just been two 13m bike runs and will start work on my running this week.

Seems good advice to target next apr but maybe there will a few things in between that I can take a pop at!!!

Cheers
  • Had you thought about entering some 5 0r 10k's - even a half marathon if you fancy more of a challenge? Over the winter there are always loads of running races around, I always enter some so that I have something to aim for during the off tri season, keeps motivation fresh, and it also means you hopefully improve your running!

If you felt really brave you could always cycle to the run first!