Home Chat General Chat

Pool Swimming, tri suits and pockets...

I've got my second tri coming up in three weeks, and it's a pool swim this time.

Looking at my tri top, it has pockets in the back; nothing unusual there, but I'm worried that they will act like little water-filled parachutes as I'm swimming.

A quick mooch around ebay shows that there are many tri suits with rear pockets. Are my concerns unfounded, or do I need to wear something without pockets? [8|]

Comments

• ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    Best without the pockets, as you quite rightly observe could induce drag, but do the pockets have a little flap over the top to stop water flowing in? My Orca does - but then I am a rubbish swimmer so doesn't make much difference.
  • My Orca onesy has pockets too but has a flap that covers them over. I guess it's to stop the fishing trawler effect and to stop stuff bouncing out on the run.

It's a basic Orca suit from eBay.
  • triadtriad Posts: 62
    Don't wear it in the pool would be my advice. Firstly it will cause drag and secondly you'll be thinking about it and you don't need to be distracted during a race. Different top would be best or indeed pockets with flaps. Good luck.
  • Mine has pockets also, but no flaps. As i NEVER use the pockets I am considering either removing them, or sewing them up!
  • MGMG Posts: 470
    I swim in my orca tri suit in the pool (which has a pocket on the back) and my times are not really any different than when I'm in my trunks, the minimal amount of drag (if any) youl get is negligabale to say the least, you'll be fine!!
  • nivaghnivagh Posts: 595
    Thanks all!

I'll have a trial run (swim) anyway. I suppose if they fill with water I can always gaffer tape over the tops! It's a Scott Plasma Tank, btw.
  • woodywoody Posts: 52
    my ironman top has pockets, but they are mesh, so don't actually hold water, but it does feel slower swimming with it, compared to my orca top without pockets. Go to the pool and try it.
  • GHarvGHarv Posts: 456
    You mention tri top - are you two piece?

If two piece why not swim in tri shorts then slip your top on in transition?

No drag and dry top for cycle. Drag v time in transition should cancel each other out.
    Yes it's two peice, but I'm not sure that it would be easy to pull onto wet skin. I would rather only be putting on my helmet and race belt in transition.

Maybe Father Christmas will bring me a tri suit...
  • GHarvGHarv Posts: 456
    Next time you have a shower why not popping it on and see?

Or roll on xmas!!!

Swam in it today and it's actually pretty well stretched at the back so the pockets seem to stay closed and if there is a drag effect, I can't feel it. It's not as though I'm terribly fast to begin with anyway! I'll probably be better off trying to nail my tumble turns.