Home Chat General Chat

Cassette compatibility

Combatdwarf, as long as the toothe pitch is the same it sould run fine. (pointy bit to point bit on the cog thing) sorry if that's too basic. and of course the same number of gears.

hope it helps.

Comments

• Quick query - is a Dura Ace cassette compatible with an Ultegra chain?

I need to change mine from an 11-23 Ultegra cassette and I have seen a good deal on a 12-27 Dura Ace one, my only concern is I will end up having to get a new chain...chainrings, crank, etc....

Thanks

Iain.
  • Thanks - I believe it is with all Shim sets (abouve Tiagra)
  • How old is the chain? If it's 6 months+ then it might end up damaging your nice new cassette so perhaps better to get a new chain too.

You may also find that the chain length is wrong for the new cassette too, so you could keep the old chain and cassette together on standby knowing that they fit each other fine.
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    Generally yes, but check with a LBS as some of the newer ones may have a slightly different tooth pattern than the older ones.
  • My current chain/cassette is virtually brand new (came on my shiny new Trek 9.5 [:D]) but after doing a Sprint Tri with an 11/23 I found I had almost nothing left in my legs (it is quite hilly round here) and so I would go for a slightly larger cassette....

Thanks for the advice

Iain.
  • TTX PROTTX PRO Posts: 225
    it should be fine but when buying a new cassette i and other engineers always recommend geting a new chain with it to reduce the amount of ware.
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    TTX PRO wrote:

it should be fine but when buying a new cassette i and other engineers always recommend geting a new chain with it to reduce the amount of ware.

Sorry stupid question coming up.

2 sets of wheels,one for training and one for racing,the training wheels will get more use than the racing ones so the wear on the cassette will be diferent and subsequently the chain wear will also be different,not wanting to swop chains as well as wheels on race days,the difference in wear causes the gears to jump.Any ways of solving this?

Ta!
  • bathtubbathtub Posts: 280
    jon.E

If the gears are jumping it is likely the chain is stretched, there is nothing to prevent this once it happens.

One way to over come the problem is to keep a check on the chain for wear (stretching). The chain measures 12 inches from centre of link to centre of link, once it as started to stretch more than 1/16 inch over the 12 inches I replace the chain thus prolonging the life of the cassette.

If the chain has stretched beyond 1/8 inch it is likely you will need a new cassette as well as new chain.

• jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    thanks for that Bathtub,I routinely change both the chain and cassette every year,but I'll keep a regular check.
  • JonE

I may be misunderstanding your post but do you have a seperate cassette on each set of wheels but run the same chain on both?

If so, why not just use one cassette and just swap this when you swap the wheels. Changing a cassette takes no time at all (you just need a chain whip) and this should mean no compatibility problems.