Home Chat General Chat

Focus izalco tria or Focus Cayo or something else?

Ok im looking to purchase a new bike in and around £800-1000. Ive been looking at past threads and reviews and it appears that within this price range the 2 focus bikes, the cayo and the tria are great value for money. My question is - could I use the tria as a training bike? Or is that not a sensible idea using a TT bike for training? Im not expecting to do any training rides over 50 miles and will be sticking to Olympic distance events (whether this effects anything I dont know).

Any advice, or is there any other bikes I should be seriously considering?

Comments

• transittransit Posts: 163
    Hmm, good question. I would personally go for the Cayo and clip on some Aero bars as if you have a hilly course or do end up doing longer rides then it will be more practical. (If it is gonna be your only bike) However, from the sounds of it the Tria would certainly do what you want at the moment - you can certainly use it for training although not as comfortable.

As for alternatives, there are loads, look at Planet X, Ribble and Cube bikes to name but a few - these are all road bikes though, not Tri bikes.
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    What about the Cervelo Soloist (carbon or team alu).

Thisbike can be used for road race and TT/. The seat angle can be shifted in order to achieve the correct geometry for both. Ideal if you can/want to afford only one bike,and it is in the price range you wanted.

I bought this bike a month ago, couldn't be more happy with it; not only did it improve my comfort on the bike, it also massively improved my running of the bike splits (=more than a minute and a half off on 5 k run). [8D]
  • sfullersfuller Posts: 628
    Cayo i reckon.
  • I think you got yours pretty cheap benny, a soloist team build with say 105 over here would cost at least £1500!
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    Mine is built with campagnolo veloce 2X10speed, fullcrum racing wheelset, speedplay pedals and profile design aero-bars. Got it for 1650 €,which is approx. 1300£.

I do bike with the guy who owns the store sometimes, he's a brother-in-law of a friend of min, so maybe he gave me some discount, but I'm sure everybody gets discounts if you dare to ask on and on!!

So I guess, if you get it without the aero-bars , cheaper pedals and wheelset, you can get it for 1100-1200£??

You can always upgrade later (as will I myself).
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    Much as I love my Tria, would not say it is a training bike, have a look at my posting:

http://forum.220magazine.com/tm.asp?m=14306&mpage=1&key=&#15918

Still have my Giant SCR2 which I train on but absolutely delighted that I bought the Tria rather than a road bike, this for me is all down to geometry which has not only improved my bike but has had a tremendous difference on my run, but it was a carefully researched decision based on my strengths and weaknesses:

http://forum.220magazine.com/tm.asp?m=17568&mpage=1&key=&#17571

If you go down the road bike and clip aero bars on you may want to look at this

http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/features/sbend.shtml

Keep trawling and searching keep asking yourself and the forum questions until all the 'so whats' are answered