Home Chat General Chat

Garmin 405

Evening,

I've been looking at the Garmin Forerunner 405 recently, but have heard that when damp the bezel doesn't work, the pace calculation is way off, the download rate is p1ss poor and the Garmin software isn't especially user friendly. (Although Sporttracks website get's good reviews)

All pretty negative stuff, so I'm wondering whether I should buy a 305 for a lot less money or is there a better solution? The 305 also has a bigger screen.

Cheers

Ian

Comments

• sfullersfuller Posts: 628
    I have 305, works a treat. It is a bit chunky but Im not trying to make a fashion statement............... thats what the lycras are for.
  • IanfIanf Posts: 23
    My current solution is to use mapmyrun/ride websites and to use a polar HRM on the run/bike. If I just buy a cadence sensor would I be any worse off, accuracy wise? There are a lot of toys out there, but are they worth the expense?

Cheers
  • sfullersfuller Posts: 628
    The 305 can be used on bike and run. a cadence sensor is available too....
  • triadtriad Posts: 62
    2 runs with the new 405 and I'm pretty happy. Only criticism thus far is that the bezel is very sensitive in some ways and not in others.
  • IanfIanf Posts: 23
    Thanks for your replies guys, I'm still tempted by the 405 (especially as it's only £30 more expensive than the 305) and obviously the aerodynamics of the 305 would just slow me down!! [:D]

Triiad, have you tried uploading the info onto Garmin's website yet? What were the upload rates like from watch to pc and pc to website?

Cheers

• triadtriad Posts: 62
    Ianf: upload rates from watch to PC are great, quick and easy. Yet to try uploads to website from PC. A little concerned over battery life especially when it comes to long distance, however for a watch of this size, I can hardly ask for 12 hours of battery and enough strength to connect to the satellite for all that time, even in this day and age.