Home Chat Race Chat

Best Triathlon In The World, Ever.

Hi

A group of friends and I are hoping to do an Olympic distance triathlon for our 40th birthdays and would really like to know if anyone can recommend a great event that is not too difficult to get an entry. The event can be anywhere in Europe, UK or USA but needs to be sometime between July and Sept 2010 and the more visually stunning the location the better.

I am an experienced triathlete but some of the guys may be novices.

Essential criteria:

Olympic Distance. Open Water Swim. Not draft legal. Accepts both Individuals and Relay. Has to be a great location with great scenery and decent post race booze-up (event party would be good but just a good pub/bar would do). Needs to be a biggish event with 300+ competitors for added excitement and added pre-race nerves.

Non-essential criteria:

Not some ultra difficult event where drowning is likely or scales some snow capped peak. Wetsuit swim. Preferably not too hot.

Really look forward to your suggestions.

Thanks

ChewMagroo

Comments

• nivaghnivagh Posts: 595

erm.... narrow it down to a continent? There's not much point in people suggesting a tri in (say) New Zealand, if you live in Peckham...
  • Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but New Zealand is not in the UK, USA or Europe. I think someone would be pretty dumb to suggest it.

Anyway, why restrict ourselves. We are happy to go anywhere (UK, Europe, USA or Canada) because it's a one off trip.

My hope is that people that have done great events can suggest them. I was looking at the Squamish Triathlon in BC, Canada, which looks a possibility. Anyone done that one?

• jon_gjon_g Posts: 318
    escape from alcatraz? not sure when it is though. or how to enter....pretty usless suggestion really
    ah, qualifier or lottery. website is here: http://www.escapefromalcatraztriathlon.com/site3.aspx

• Yeah, that would be a brilliant triathlon to do - all you have to do is become one of the top 2,000 best triathletes in the world and compete in a bunch of qualifying events first!
    or enter the lottery.....very easy to get into then[&:]
  • nivaghnivagh Posts: 595
    Sorry! I totally failed to read your post about location. Duh.

The Embrun Ironman is possibly the best scenery - beautiful down there in the Alpes de Haute Provence, but the race is f...ing tough!