Home Chat General Chat

Begginer

I want to start training for a triathlon. I have started running in a group (at the back). 4 miles in an hour. am joining a cycle group and don't find it difficult to build up swimming fitness. I've bought joe friels bible but it looks so confusing. I don't know how to get started. I don't want to join the local tri group until I feel a bit fitter. Should I just focus on getting running a bit more and cycling before embarking on tri training?

Comments

• transittransit Posts: 163
    Hello Karen,

Get stuck in and join the tri club, join a swimming club, running club, cycling club - you'll probably find they are all really good and you meet loads of cool people - that's the only reason I do triathlon.

It is a bit of a vicious circle re: going to club and getting fit. Going along will get you fit. If they are a club worth joining they will welcome you with open arms.

Good luck with all that. For your first season just concentrate on getting lots of 'base' training done - building up your miles and training frequency. The Training Bible is a crazy book, loads of great tips and overall good planning but for alot not that detailed (there was a recent thread on this, not sure anyone understands it).

Enjoy!
  • Over the winter is the ideal time to join a tri club. You'll be fit and ready for next years tri's then.
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    GET STUCK IN. The sooner the better
  • Thread for the training bible discussion is: http://forum.220magazine.com/tm.asp?m=20321

It seems that quite a few people have had difficulty in using this to create training plans.
  • LindsLinds Posts: 124
    Kaern

Just get stuck in and join a tri club.

I started from zero in April and joined a local tri cub in May and they have been fantastic. I only go to the swim sessions at the moment, but they have been very encouraging and welcoming and there is such a mixture of abilities that I don't feel I am holding anyone back.

Enjoy
  • That's really encouraging thanks. Think I'll start off with a few preliminary bike rides and then bite the bullet.
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    joining a club only has advantages .

Don't worry about your fitness,club have all kinds of people with all kinds of levels of fitness.

You'll just get better joining them, and don't worry: there will still be long lonely rides and run left over for ya.