Home Chat General Chat

Orca Classic

Hey all, new to posting here, but since you all give such good advice i was wondering if anyone could help me out

Took part in the Orca classic at Dorney sunday just gone, got a terrible bike of 1hr 13m (at london i did 1h 5m) this indicates to me that i did 9laps instead of 8 (i know i know... dumbass) but i did it cause my speedo said i had only done 23miles so i thought another lap was in order, so to try to cut down this story does anyone know the distance of a lap of dorney in miles? is it honestly 5k?

the possible aswers to my dilemma are

an incorrectly calibrated Speedo, causing me to do an extra lap

dorney is more than a 40K ride

dorney is less than a 40K ride and i threw in an extra lap

or i was rubbish at cycling (very possible, but i really felt like i was flying and the only people to overtake me all had Cevelos!)

if anyone has other ideas i'd welcome them!

answers on a postcard...

many thanks

Tim

Comments

• might just be the course and the fact that london was slightly shorter than 40km - i did 1hr 6 mins at london, and then did the south coast classic as part of a relay team (so only had to worry about the bike and didnt leave anything in the tank) and could only manage 1hr 11mins.

the south coast classic was 12 laps with sharp u-turns at either end of the course which caused you to slow completely so think that helped to make me slower.
  • Have used www.mapmyride.com to see what that says the distance round the lake is and comes out to be pretty much bang on 5k a lap.

[color=#666600]http://www.mapmyride.com/route/gb/dorney/161584216077[/color] - change to satillite view and you will be able to see the lake as well.
  • Pretty sure that each lap of the Dorney circuit is bang-on 5km.

If the morning Sprint race was anything to go by, the race briefing was almost inaudible and quite a few people took too many laps.

The lap signs by the transition area were not that clear, either, if it's any consolation. It was only because I'd done the Eton Supersprint back in May that I happened to know the correct distance.

A fast-looking guy on a Cervelo even slowed down especially to double-check with me that only four laps were required!

Don't worry, anyway - you have a whole winter of potential turbo training ahead, so you'll be super quick come next season anyway... [;)]

• timtim Posts: 43
    Thanks all, i shall pay more attention next time!
  • triadtriad Posts: 62
    Tim, you could always do it the old fashioned way and put bits of duck tape on your handle bars and rip one off each time you complete a lap, works for me when doing loop courses.
  • timtim Posts: 43
    Like that idea, will have to wait till next year now as i am all triathloned out, but will definitely be giving the tape a go, thanks for the assistance
  • Hey, Dorney is actually 5.1k, hence 20.4 and 40.8 for the sprint and full.

London was actually only just 38k
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    I know the length of the lake is 2000M and they're all up hill!

It was at a regatta at Dorney I had my epiphany - I was in great shape :bang on weight, top of the range boat & oars, well trained, good taper, perfect weather etc ... I came 4th, I looked around and realised that the 3 guys who beat me were 10 years younger, and that a new world order was in place. I then decided to stop high end rowing and to start tri... I still scull and love it and I also do triathlon and love it. I also get to own Sunday morning