Home Chat General Chat

Mid-afternoon snacking

Mixed dried fruit, seeds and nuts works for me. Brazil nuts and cashews are good because of essential oils and some protein, dried fruit is pretty simple energy, and the seeds are a bit of both.

Comments

• julesojuleso Posts: 279
    Hello. Quick query - when going training after work, what do people recommend as an afternoon snack (say 1.5 or 2 hours before training)? Fruit doesn't seem to be enough. I had a really good session after a Sainsbury's 'luxury' chocolate biscuit a couple of weeks ago but am thinking it could have been purely coincidental! I'd be interested to hear any recommendations. I'm thinking the biscuit is not the way forward.
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    The nut thing does not work for me, the fats mean that it stays with me longer & has been known to attempt a re emergence. I usually go with a jam butty, or fruit, but with some choccy milk to add the protein (soy milk).
  • stustu Posts: 28
    I figure as long its its a sensible and nutritious food that you can manage personally, anything goes really. We'd be burning of cals at a fairly high rate anyway so, excess cal/cal control isn't really a problem, more your ability to operate efficently after eating it.
  • BEEFBEEF Posts: 43
    MALT LOAF everytime!!
  • Jordans Frusli bars are dead nice - no rubbish in them, only good stuff like nuts, berries and crispy things. I always have one an hour before going for a run / bike - v easy to digest and get you round nicely - about 150cals per bar i think. V low fat.
  • transittransit Posts: 163
    2 pieces of fruit, muller light (maybe a Boost) then start fuelling with energy drink as soon as I get on bike.
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Malt loaf is recovery food..I have science & everything to back up this bold statement....

I am always suspicious of cereal bars (& to some extent cereals) as massively processed 'food' posing as healthy food. Having said that I am currently eating a bowl of shreddies with grape nuts & jordans maple crunch sprinkled in..& strawberries, raisins & blackberries to incr the goodness.
  • I've been making the DIY energy bars as shown in this months 220, they satisfy my stomach without being too heavy.

My favourite is the Oatbran, fruit and Nut.

But instead of the raisins i add dried cranberries, delicious!![:)]

Don't know if they would be good during cycles tho as they are a bit crumbly. (Or is that just me being rubbish in the kitchen!!!)

• I like carrot sticks and hummous, personally, though admittedly they don't go too well with the mid-afternoon cuppa...
  • sfullersfuller Posts: 628
    nice bit of goats cheese on a ryvita.
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    shakes are really convenient for this one! Give enough cals, are easy and quickly prepared/used.

• bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    maybe a peanut butter sandwich or so that you've prepared extra at lunch time. You can swallow that in a minute. Use some kind of energy drink to flush it down and you surely can get started working out.

Also taking in nutrition during training is something you should train , so ...