Home Chat General Chat

Anyone switch to MTB for winter training?

Although its probably been the best weekend of the summer for weather where i live thoughts are moving to winter training.

I only really took up cycling in March so here's the question...

Does anyone rack the racing bike to the turbo (For wet days etc.) and then ride a mountain bike for road training over the winter where decent weather permits?

As the MTB is heavier and has thicker tyres would this be good base training and build strength and endurance ready for switching back to the road bike for real next year?

Or is it just best to just turbo ago go all winter?

Comments

• transittransit Posts: 163
    I have an old road bike permanently on the turbo anyway but during the winter I love the mtbing - I'm lucky cos I live in such a good area for trails. I do all road work in the summer due to the necessity for structured sessions whereas on a mtb you can rack up some good miles and have some awesome fun at the same time - I think it is really beneficial for base training when combined with a few long wkend road rides.
  • Hi, road cycling need not stop because it's winter. Have you considered cyclo-cross or getting a winter bike or even just converting your bike to a winter bike - get some tyres with a rain tread, possibly some light mudguards, some lights and away you go. Don't get me wrong MTBing is great fun, but I don't believe it's necessary to hide the road bike away until the sun makes an appearance again - let's face it; in this country that hardly ever happens!
  • GHarvGHarv Posts: 456
    The challenge is i only have access to the 2 bikes.

The road bike will need to go in the turbo and i'll have to put a turbo tyre on it as its already eating my road tyre.

I haven't been able to get a spare back wheel for a really cheap price and i don't have the skills to chop and change tyres on the road bike. So hence the MTB question.
  • learnerlearner Posts: 100
    MTB are they the funny looking ones with fat wheels? or should that be no I stick to my old tredder for the winter. Come to think of it do MTB's have baskets and centre stands too.

• treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    In the Winter I get out on the road bike with the group on a Sunday, mid-week I do a turbo session (60kM as fast as possible, no wind down no intervals no crap!) because its too dark/wet/windy/wintry.

I do go out on the MTB for a bit of variety, but not on a regular basis. The MTB is great for a change,but I think it has limited value if you use it as the main-stay of your Winter cycling programme if you are, or aspire to be a serious cyclist/triathlete.

• Ive been a mountain biker for 20 plus years and only bought a road bike this year a mix of the 2 is brilliant i now really enjoy both and im 45 so il never be a serious triathlete if you get the chance do some mountain biking in wales i.e betsy coed or cody brennin (pardon the spelling) the scenery is stunning and there are mountain bike trails that are safe and waymarked and it does teach you agility specialy if you go clipped in get out there and enjoy it you wont be sorry you might even try a few endurance events next season and it is superb for yourfitness.
  • I would love to go out on the MTB, but i only have the one and i think its dying, as well as being too small for me!

In regards to the road bike situation I still manage to get out on it in the winter, but I change my bike sessions to the morning as I dont like riding in the dark.

I am in the lucky situation that I have a room at the hospital, so I train from about 7-9 in the morning then straight to work! I also do some work on the turbo, on the same bike, but i find it only takes about 5 mins to swap the tyres over.
    Watched the DVD what it takes on the recommendation of Blaise - great film following 4 triathletes to training for KONA in 2006 features Peter Reid 3 x World Ironman champ.

In one of the scenes you see Reid going out for a 4 hour ish training ride on the MTB in winter. GOing out on dry roads not trails. OK he hit snow later in the ride but he turned back. OK you only see im out once but from the looks of it he must have done this regularly. He must of been usining it for a reason on the roads?

Any guesses other than he thought it may snow?

He came third in 2006 so he didn't do too bad.
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    My guess is that MTB will have an outer chainring of about 40 - 42T so will make you work at higher cadence, higher cadence works slowtwitch muscles, burns more fat, increases endurance - great training.

Nothing wrong with MTB and Tri, even saw one with an aero bar. Did my first tri on one and the 28/28 combo was great for climbing hills.
    Thanks for the responses.