Home Chat General Chat

first tri advice

I'm doing my first tri in 2 weeks at Brigg in Lincolnshire. I've completed one novice duathlon earlier this year which went well. I'm apprehensive about the swim mainly because I have never worn a swimming cap before and I don't know how the time keepers, officials etc. work the swim. I'm aware that you count your own lenghts at some tris and often you get a float put at one end when you have two lengths to go. Do all tri's have micro chip timing, making my race number for info only? I have just bought some tri shorts which are not flattering and I intend to throw a t-shirt on for the bike and run. Will putting my race number on my t-shirt suffice?

Any other tips would be appreciated. Cheers, Tommy[:)][:)][:)]

Comments

• transittransit Posts: 163
    Hello Tommy,

You should count your own lengths, mainly so you can pace yourself but also cos people with floats might count wrongly.

Not all races have micro chips but all the ones I've done this year have so they will more than likely. There are rules around race numbers particularly to check people have covered all the course and not cheated - i.e. taken a short cut. Some events record your number at the far end of the bike run. If you don't make your number visible or if you disfigure it you might get a time penalty.

As for the swim cap and t shirt, as with all things Tri, you should practise before the race so you identify and pitfalls. T shirts can be a right pain but if you understand how difficult it can be to pull on a wet T then it might make it easier. The swim cap should be fine.

Good luck with the race, no other tips other than enjoy it and if you make mistakes laugh them off cos like me your probably not gonna win it so have a great time! All the best
  • LindsLinds Posts: 124
    Strangely enough I was also nervous about wearing a swim cap at my first tri - but soon found out it's a daft thing to worry about and easy enough to get on and off and comfortable enough for me not to notice during the swim. So relax.

As for timing etc. well that varys from event to event, but both of mine have had chip timing.

From reading othr posts on here i would suggest that you practice getting yuor t-shirt on when wet, as it can be a tricky bugger.

Most importantly of all remember to enjoy yourself and smile for the cameras (i have yet to master that last bit thoug!)
  • stustu Posts: 28
    just did my first one at the weekend and echo the sentiments about the tee shirt - rest of it is fine.......follow the person in front!!
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    ....until you see the finish line, then waste him!
  • GHarvGHarv Posts: 456
    Couple of things from me:

- Get a tri belt - a very good use of £5 otherwise you'll have to have your number on the back for the cycle and have to switch to the front for the run - a pain and mega wasted transition time with safety pins. One event i did gave 2 numbers so was not a problem but for all the others i've only ever had one. (Unless you do a MIG event @ Stockton Triathlon they gave free tri belts in you goody bag!)

- Create a check list of what you'll need on the day e.g. safety pins goggles, drinks etc. and check it before you leave - one less thing to worry about - i still use it

- If its close - go check out the course

- Re t-shirts consider a cheap tri top i got a quintana roo from jejames.co.uk as a back up top for £4.50 its so easy to put on you could put it on in the pool while swimming (not recommended!)

- Re swimming cap - buy one a wear it for swimming in advance - always best to get used to what you'll be wearing on the day as mentioned above
  • Try having waist length hair! It's surprising how much you learn to love a swim hat when the other choice is strangulation!! hee hee....
  • Thanks for all your advice. I'm impressed with 5 responses in less than 24 hours. I'll be taking your advice on board and I'll definitely enjoy it.

Cheers again[:)][:)][:)]
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    Had a look at the Lincsquad web site:

http://www.lincsquad.co.uk/brigg_sprint_triathlon.php

FAQ' here:

http://www.lincsquad.co.uk/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1219308625/0

Race instructions here:

http://www.lincsquad.co.uk/pdf/tri_race_instruction_2008.pdf

You are responsible for counting the lengths completed although helpfully there is counter who you can ask to confirm how many you have done. First one I did went quicker than I thought and figured I must have miscounted, turns out did 450m instead of 400 so a counter is a definite help.

Field restricted to 150 so doubt if they have chip timing - however if they do use chips place it on your left leg to avoid fouling with the chainring.

T shirt not best option, first of all trying to drag over wet body, second not good at climate control so a Tri top (or suit) with a zip is ideal and you can wear during the swim to save time.

Enjoy, smile for the camera - I'm afraid I just go flat out on the run at a 110% pace and have nothing left at the finish so always look as if I am about to collapse.
  • nivaghnivagh Posts: 595
    Just been reading my entry information and I can't see anything about chips, so maybe it's manually timed.

Start times should be advised soonish - pm me with your number and I'll look out for you and holler if we pass each other!
  • Zacnici thanks for your advice. After deciding to use this forum I went back onto LIncsquad site and got the further instructions. These were helpful but i don't think they were listed when I first entered the event.

Their instructions also lead to further quesitions, -

Do I mark my race number on the outside of my upper arm and the outside of my lower leg?

What is the best thing to use to mark number onto skin? Permanent marker sounds a bit permanent!

I think your opinion regarding the t-shirt has made my mind up to buy a tri top. Cheers[;)][;)][;)]

• transittransit Posts: 163
    The race organisers tend to mark your race no. on you for you when you register - I've never had to mark it myself. This reduces the amount of variation in size and postion. (Although not sure what the specific race instructions say?)
  • MikeyBMikeyB Posts: 135
    The race organisers will mark the number on you, doing it yourself would be very difficult. Yes they will use permanent marker, otherwise it would come off in the pool. The best thing I have found for getting the number off is nail-varnish remover.

Mike

• BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    If you moisturise a little before leaving the house, on the likely marking areas, then it washes off much easier with soap & water later. Nail polish remover is not good for skin.
  • sfullersfuller Posts: 628
    just use wire wool.... that'll bring it off.
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    Get a collapsable plastic box and bring a roll of gaffa tape - it's always handy.

Inever travel anywhere with out tape and a spoon ( tape is so handy and anything you cant eat with a spoon you can eat with your hands)

• tommytommy Posts: 4
    Nivagh,

I'm race number 140. I'm hoping to hold my place at the least!

Maybe see you there

Tommy
  • DaveCDaveC Posts: 15
    Good luck in this. A small tip if you ever get to do a swim in a wetsuit. A mistake I made was to come racing out the swim, dragging off the wetsuit -only to find it stick on the arm that I had cleverly put my watch over the top of the suit so I could keep track of the time. These things are always obvious in retrospect !!!
  • nivaghnivagh Posts: 595
    Good tip DaveC! [:D]

Tommy - sorry I didn't spot you on Sunday. I think the event was pretty good and impressed that 137 out of 150 started, considering the weather until about 09.00!

I had a bit of a nightmare on the bike but pretty happy with my race overall. How did you find it?