Home Chat General Chat

split times

just completed my first tri yesterday - The Nantwich sprint.

My final time was about what I was expecting 85 minutes.

The times are not out yet but looking at last years results how are the splits divided ?

Is it swim time = swim + T1, bike time = bike + T2 + run time.

or is it

swim Time = swim, bike time = T1 + bike, run time = T2 + run.

Looking fwd to next year to see if I can sought out my running problems.

Comments

• In a small event it is usually - swim, t1 + bike, t2 + run. Usually you are timed as you get out of the water, making the swim split the only 'pure' split.

In bigger races you'll often get a time for each individual section, but this is most common where they're using timing chips. Having said that, some of the smaller sprint events are sufficiently well organised to do this. You might even get split times for individual laps of each leg.

i.e. for London you get swim, T1, Bike lap1, Bike lap2, T2, run1, run2.

The race results sheet should make it clear what sections they are timing together.

And congratulations on your first tri! [:D]

• I can clear it for you as ive done the race a couple of times now:

Swim time = Swim time in the pool only

After exiting the water your time is clocked and that starts your bike time, this continues right up until you nearly mow down that guy stood on the road at the end of the bike course with his hand held up in front of you!! He calls out your number and then your run time starts. This continues until you cross the finish line.

So to sum up:

Swim Time = swim,

Bike time = T1 + bike

Run time = T2 + run

Congrats on completing your first tri.

p.s. on another note did you notice my yellow flyer that i was putting into all the registration bags advertising our new Triathlon Club based in Mid Cheshire area? If so are you interested in joining us???

Cheers, Mark
  • Cheers Mark,

I live north of Bolton so no thanks.

my splits were 10, 42 & 30 so the run was definitely my weakest but I knew that.

Trouble is I totally & utterly detest running.

• treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    SPAM TO PAGE 2
  • Has anyone had problems where the timing has gone wrong? Recent excellent event, ridiculous recorded times and despite reassurances of back-up no further contact. Despite the buzz of best triple event performance I feel let down.
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    billcomer wrote:

just completed my first tri yesterday - The Nantwich sprint.

My final time was about what I was expecting 85 minutes.

The times are not out yet but looking at last years results how are the splits divided ?

Is it swim time = swim + T1, bike time = bike + T2 + run time.

or is it

swim Time = swim, bike time = T1 + bike, run time = T2 + run.

Looking fwd to next year to see if I can sought out my running problems.

I did this, I'm sure it was swim time, then T1+bike, T2+run as has been said.

I'm looking forward to this next year. I take it you are aware that they run the same event twice? It's the Cheshire Tri in May and the North West Tri in September, but it's the same course. So a good way to guage your improvement (hopefully!) over the summer.