Home Chat General Chat

pacing advice please..

Good evening,

My current 10k PB is 38mins but I'd like to go quicker. I've been doing loads of interval and fartlek training which has worked to a degree as feel much more at ease at the required pace needed for a 36 min 10k and I'm sure i could maintain the effort...

However...

When i try to put it all together in a 10k time trial i either go off too quickly and blow up with a mile or so to go or go off too slow and leave my self too much to do.

Does anyone have any ideas on how i can get my pace right from the start and maintain it? its very off putting looking at my garmin every 30 seconds!!

any ideas would be grateful

Thanks, lee

Comments

• just moving it back to the top so it get noticed!!![:)]
  • Hi ya Lee not spoke here for a while hope you had a good season.

As for your time something that works for myself and others is running your pace only. In other words run one of your measured 10k routes without your watch then just check the time when you get home that way you get a fel for the pace you need to set without relying on the clock.

Try it and see if it works for you over a couple of sessions through the winter.. Good luck with it..[;)]
  • sfullersfuller Posts: 628
    on the garmin 305 you can set parameters.... you can set it to beep if you are running too fast or too slow.... therefore keeping you in your required pace zone.

• jon_gjon_g Posts: 318
    cant remember which marathon runner it is that does this, but find a song with the right beat for the pace you want to run at. listen to it while you are training then in a race you can sing the song to yourself and you'll know that you are at the right pace
  • I was looking into musical guides to pacing for cycle rpm and found that #Onward Christian Soldiers# is played at 100bpm. Not sure I fancy having the local Sally Army brass band following me round the bike leg though.[:D]
  • Liked that one tri-dot-dom, laughed out loud to it [:D]
  • when i run in training I listen to music which is approximately 180bpm (drum and bass - pendulum mostly). Anyhow, this keeps my cadence at 180, which is my most efficient i believe. My stride length stays pretty constant, so this should keep me at the right speed.

As the others say though, its mostly about knowing your own speed. I'm pretty sure i could run two 5ks without any music and they would be pretty close in time.

What i think the best thing for you to do is not just to do intervals, but practice doing your goal pace at intervals, then reduce the breaks until its one continuous run. I think until you can 'feel' your pace then you may need to rely on the gadgets!
  • Thanks for all the tips they all make sense, I'll try them all out over the winter and hopefully your wisdom will see me right.

Adrian, My season went ok thanks 8th in bath and 36th in london were my best results. How did your season go?

I'm gonna rest for a couple of weeks now as i have to stay out of the pool anyway because I've had a new tattoo done!!!

• Not too bad for first year my best was 2hr 33 for olympic disatnce. have rested now for a bit but just starting again on winter program and will build up for my first 70.3 in june.Must be mad but thats why we all do it....
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    I had similar problems - except I wanted a 39 minute. So after the required training I went to a local race picked out a known 39er and followed him until the closing stages when I picked it up to pass him ( he beat me!) but I got 38.10!
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    Ironically I met my pace maker today - he was out running, training for the local 10kM championships and he's going for a sub 38. I'm tempted!!!!
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    had a similar experience two weeks ago. A co-worker of mine had a PB on the 10k of 39.30.

I had one of 40.13. We did the same race and I stayed very close on the first lap. On the second I left him to go with some nice tempo group. stayed ahead (really had to) and finished in 39 min. Thanked himfor it, cause he really paced me during the beginning of the race.

On the other hand, I really wasted him on the second. [8D][8D][8D]