Home Chat General Chat

drinking on long run

When I do my weekly long run (about 2hrs or so) I need to take a drink with me to keep hydrated and also to try out different fuel mixtures .I have suffered teriible stomach cramps before and soon realised you've got to train with what you use during racing.

I don't like spending my entire run carrying a drinks bottle wheter it's empty or full. How do the rest of you guys take on fluid during your training runs or have I just got to accept the position of carrying a drinks bottle whilst I run.

Comments

• Why dont you stash it.

Run for 40 mins holding the bottle, stash it some where in a bush/hedge then run your route for 20 more mins.

Turn around and retrace your route.

collecting your bottle as you pass.

Either that or pre place drinks in throw away cups/containers and pick up as you run past.
  • Something I've done a few times is take some change in my pocket, and buy a drink on the way - all you need to do is make sure your passing a shop/pub!
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    Let your partner ride the bike next to you. He/she can reach your drinks and nutrition out to you.

With the cycle computer you've got exact time/distance/pace info. (kids love to do this , when they're old enough to bike that long!!).

Or something I often do is put your bottle(s) on your driveway or so. Run loops of about 15 or 20 minutes or so.

You could also consider a 'fuel belt', which is handy.
  • MikeyBMikeyB Posts: 135
    I wear a belt with a couple of small bottles on it. It is much more comfortable than carrying a bottle as you are running. It also includes a pouch for gels, bars, keys and wallet etc.

Mike

• GGGG Posts: 82
    Evening,

I have a camelback that I partially fill and use sometimes on long runs. Its pretty good but a pain to clean. Or I use a bum bag style bag that i put a water bottle in. Either works pretty well.

Best thing for me is to run from campsite to campsite where I live as they each have drinking taps!

G

• I'll second the belt with 1 or 2 small bottles on it.

I get fed up of holding a bottle whilst out on a long run and found that it would make my shoulder ache.

Was a bit apprehensive about wearing a belt, but I really don't notice it when I get going.

• BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    I mostly run bottleless. Hydrated before, steady autumn/winter runs are mostly my long ones..altho' have been known to go long in warmer times. Since I will mostly liquid fuel on the bike, that is when I try out nutrition/mixes etc. De hydration is less of a problem than you think..after all it is in Lucozade (or whoever) interest to convince you otherwise with 'studies'..& yes I have been reading Bad Science by Ben Goldacre, but this has merely re inforced my misgivings.
  • sfullersfuller Posts: 628
    what brand of belts do you use?
  • I Have the Salomon Ultra trail belt.

It's pretty versatile and has a useful little pocket for Gels, keys, ipod etc.

• I bought a 1ltr camelback which I use on my shorter long runs (if you know what I mean) Its very comfotable to run with and being only a litre or less is also very light. As for cleaning, throw a miltons tab in every now and then keeps it mould free.
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    I used an Ultimate Direction bottle belt difficult to source apparently I got mine in Up & Running. Excellent design in both bottle and belt comfortable and unobstrusive to wear and easy to use
  • sfullersfuller Posts: 628
    Treefrog,

I have one similar to that, bought it in SBR shop in NYC, do you find that with a full belt the velcro is abit unreliable?
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    sfuller I have had NO PROBLEMS with mine. Folowing IM Switzerland I took a realhatred to te ammo belt bottle style belts .... long story..... so I put a lot of thought into my next drinks belt anfd ant the UD did it for me - it never failed and I had no problems with it thus far...