Home Chat General Chat

Do you count the commute?

Quick question, do you guys count the daily commute as part of your training schedule.

I regularly travel a 2 x 9km journies 4 -5 times per week, do a brick session and a long ride on my weekly training.

Sprint and OD triathlons are my targets - am I kidding myself on that these 9k efforts (up n down hill) actually count?

Comments

• transittransit Posts: 163
    My 5 min walks to and from work are my core sessions for the week..do they do super super super sprint tri's?

I think the key is to make sure you are adding value in your commute if you want to count them e.g in the winter it is fine to plod the commute and get the miles in, as the spring approaches you might want to use them to do more intensive work, intervals even extend some for longer rides etc. With all sessions it is really important to understand what you are trying to get out of that session e.g. fast intervals for speed, recovery, endurance etc

If you are plodding every day I would say count it very loosely.

If you are working in what you ride and don't wanna get sweaty then that might be a hindrance!
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    What's wrong with finding a "Triathlete's Shortcut" i.e. the long way around, instead of just doing 9km?
  • stustu Posts: 28
    Getting the general idea from you both that they don't really count as key sessions, as I suspected,

My key bikes are one long ride and one brick session every week.

Typically I get about 1hours commute ride a day, pretty much always in Zone 1 (recovery) and sometimes dipping into Zone 2 (aerobic) on the return leg.

So to surmise, we're say, the miles won't do you any harm but don't count them as key?
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    My bike commute is less than 5k each way....however as mentioned I can easily make it 10k & not be too late for work....20k & not be too late home (or leave work too early). I often do it at sprint pace, recover, sprint etc, or I go the hilly way. Homeward bound I dump the bike & run to the pool straight off, thus getting a brick session in, so as much as poss I do count it.
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    I'd say it counts; My commute is 16k x2, but often I run off the bike(easy ,something like 3k or so),or do an additional lap. This way you can make them count as key sessions.

If you just do the 9k,you can't make that your key training, but it adds all up.
  • stustu Posts: 28
    like what you're saying benny!!!

Do one long bike and one brick per week, and incorp. some intervals on return commute (uphill!!)

Cheers guys