Home Chat General Chat

bike recommendations?

Hello,

I am new to the world of triathlons and am looking to buy a bike. I wish to spend about £500 and was just wondering if anybody would be kind enough to give me a few recommendations. I would like to use the bike for training and racing and fully appreciate how important size and a test ride is. Thanks

Comments

• Hey, welcome to the forum and to triathlon!

I guess you have two options here, you could certainly go for the bike at 500, however another option would be is the Tri Starter packs. I think these are very good value and excellent for anyone starting off.

I think Tri UK offer two or three options including bikes, wetsuits, helmets, pedals, shoes and a few other bits and pieces.

In terms of the bike alone...I bought myself an entry level Trek for 700 Euro two years ago and its done me great.

I don't think there is much between the likes of Trek and Giant who have been strong in the entry level category.

A small point here on your thread - you might not get a great response, because every month this question comes up - what bike? For more information it could be worth while scanning previous threads...

Best of luck!

• ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    To start you off you may want to have a look here:

http://forum.220magazine.com/tm.asp?m=20478&mpage=1&key=&#20543

You may want to look at the cycle to work scheme if your employer supports it - or encourage them to do so that way you could end up with a £1,000 bike for about £500 or so net price.

Don't jump in - take your time - research, have a good trawl through this forum you will find this cropping up time and time again

We're quite a friendly bunch, some groups would jump down your throat - I know I've been there.

Once you start to whittle down to a couple of options you may want to ask specific questions or seek opinions and that is where the real techies can help you out.

Good luck
  • GHarvGHarv Posts: 456
    You could check out the Guess RB1 - £499 tri/tt bike.

Cycling plus called it a "Great value package".
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    SPAM TO PAGE 2
  • Thanks for all the replies guys, looking at trek and bianchi at the moment.
  • Have you looked at any of the last of the '08 seasons bikes?

I know they reduce them as 09 models have just come out. I'm new to all this too. (jus did my first sprint at Bodmin in Cornwall on sunday) I got my 07 specialized allez sport 200 quid cheaper as it was end of season last 07 bike in store- in my size too. was well chuffed. I'm very happy with the bike- no complaints at all [;)]
  • GHarvGHarv Posts: 456
    The new 220 has a section on budget bikes.

Merida and Btwin come out well.
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    stp2