Home Chat General Chat

hours on the bike

Hi,

I'm just reviewing my training plan for the winter months and realise that I probably don't have enough hours in the day. I can get one long (up to 2.5hrs) bike session once a week, and will commute 4 days a week (2 x 7mile journeys each day), also have my key long run and swim session in the week as well.

One shorter bike / run brick and another couple of shorter swim sessions.

Question is (and I'm looking at sprint tris next year), does this seem sufficient?

Comments

• transittransit Posts: 163
    That's plenty of time for Sprint Triathlon training. You'd need to gear your training around your strengths in each discipline which is what I am assuming you have done. It looks like a good winter plan to me, that 2.5hr cycle is plenty enough endurance for competition and you'd probably cut that down as you get into the season. Make sure you maximise the benefit of the commutes by having a 'goal' for each one ie recovery, race pace, etc etc rather than just doing same thing every day
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    Well, stu, with that amount of training you'll even tackle olympic distance.

I've only done olympic distance before (6 times), so no experience with sprints. But I do less training than you describe here, and I did my last race in 2.20 hours. I guess thats good average, so I expect you to do well!!!

Good luck.
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    I think short cycles are good and even better if done at high speed. But I don't think there is any substitute for 100kM plus rides.

2.5 hours is good but 4 hours is better
  • Yep, agreed. Short rides can be really good if you are prepared for some pain, but you've got to get those loooong steady base rides in regularly. Start getting used to the concept of 6am Sunday. [:(]

Also, where are your other runs? Maybe you should run to the office a few times? How about leave your bike overnight: ride in, run home, run in, ride home etc.

Agree with benny, too. That schedule will get you round an Olympic, no problem.

• stustu Posts: 28
    Great advice here guys.

Interesting you say I should be able to take Olympic distance on this training, it was something I hoped for.

Did my first sprint at 75mins and thought I should improve on that first!

I was hoping to get away with only two runs per week, being a 80-83kg 6ft 1 male I want to keep impact/injury to a minimum and train smarter to go faster.

I feel that I can make more significant improvements this year on the bike since I'm completely new to it, (gave up marathon running due to boredom!!).

Thanks for all your great advice guys. Cheers Stuart
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    Try running one session on soft surfaces if you're prone to injury.
  • Utilise the commutes to work by using 1 as a regular time trial, 1 or 2 over gear work - thus building leg strength etc - that way it hopefully makes the most of your time on the bike, and adds a little variety to the ride to and from work.

That's prob what I'd do.

Amazon
    SPAM TO PAGE 2
  • See above - I'm uniting with Treefrog!!
    stp2