Home Chat General Chat

Sram v shimano

i have been reading up on bike technology, i think i am getting to grips with it all with a view to purchasing an all singing all dancing bike for next year, i just wondered what peoples preferences were with the groupsets? i have only ever had shimano, and it appears to me that shimano are the best sellers, however are they the best? of course i am sure this comes down to personal preference but it would be good to get some opinions from you seasoned athletes.

thanks

Comments

• TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    It just so happens, about 2 mins ago I ordered all the bits for my new bike. It was all shimano dura ace, with the exception of possibly a campo record. Personally, and I can't say I know alot about bikes, but shimano offers the best deal. I think campo are great if you have money to spend, but i think the fact that their 2nd and 3rd line stuff i.e. chrous and centaur lie in the same price brackets as the dura ace top of the line shimano stuff says to me that they don't offer great value for money. I know treefrogs opinion will probably differ, as he uses all record I do believe, but then from what he says it seems he has the money to spend!

I'm not sure about sram and the others, from what I know of the sram red stuff it is good, but again very expensive. I think if you don't have a huge amount to spend i think shimano is the way to go, as ultegra and 105 stuff is pretty awesome for the money!
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    I'm with treefrog on the campy side. Always had campagnolo, put it on my new cervelo too, and I don't have excess amounts of money, but I still believe campa is better.

Maybe personal preference??
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    stp2
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    STP2
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    Campy seem to have another couple of price points above Dura-Ace. Is that right?

Also, I've heard a lot of people say that Campy is a bit fussy and hard to look after, but I've got no evidence.

I've just moved up to Shimano Ultegra from a mix of allsorts (Sora, Tiagra, RPM etc) and I'm very impressed.