Home Chat General Chat

x-trainers - friend or foe?

I`m starting my winter base training and am looking for variety to keep me motivated. At the minute I`m doing an hour on a treadmill in my fat burning zone. The use of an ipod and monitoring my HR is so far managing to keep me motivated. However, the x-trainers are gaining more of my attention.

Basically are they a good bit of kit to build a good base or would I be better off using the ex bikes as well in order to keep my training more tri specific.

Same question re: rowers

Thanks

Comments

• TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    The x-trainer has its uses as a joint friendly warm up device, beyond that its not really much help. If you really want to be in the gym focus your training on the bike/treadmill (although both of these breed bad form), and in my opinion weight training - see the post above.

Rowers are an excellent training device in my opinion, they offer a mix of endurance work, with leg and arm power. I would rate work on a rower the gym far higher than the treadmill and bike! But of course the best thing is to get out on the bike or the road!

• Jason NJason N Posts: 36
    Thanks TTri,

To be honest I was kinda thinking along those lines.

I`ve heard that the treadmill breeds bad form as most of your action can get behind you. Apparently by increasing the gradient by a degree or 2 goes someway to counteract this.

Gonna go and dust off my mtb i think.

• TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    Yeh, i've heard about the gradient thing, I get the idea but what I find most off putting about the treadmill is i seem to run a lot slower. Now I thought this was initially due to me just not being used to it, and it didn't bother me too much, until I got back on the road and found i was slower then as well! so now I steer clear of the dam thing!

I use the gym for rower and weights only, even if its pouring down with rain i either run (like tonight) or go to the pool. If its not too windy and still light i get out on the bike. I've got used to the fact that its always crap weather now and I am not going to let myself use it as an excuse.

However I did go out on the bike earlier and the wind was so bad I had to turn back, got home and looked on the bbc website and found out it was a 21mph head/slight crosswind! No wonder i found it hard to stay on the bike!

Sorry, got off the point a bit there. My basic point is, its best not to try and use the gym as a replacement, only as a supplement!
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    STP2