Home Chat General Chat

help/advice needed

Evening Folks,

I am after some help advice regarding my bike.

I was out for a sunday hack today and had a fairly good cycle until half way. Got a puncture which i duly sorted, then had a chain off. Here in lies the big problem. Since getting the chain back on I have been unable to change back down to the granny ring. God only knows what is going on. I have a brand new Defy 2 with 18 speed twing ring shimano running gear. As it stands at the moment i am stuck on the large ring(which isn't a problem until i hit the big hills round here.) The bike is 4 weeks old and has done around 100 miles. Any advice would be greatfully recieved.

Is there anything I could do myself or do i just head straight back to the dealer??

Cheers in advance

Drew

Comments

• treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    The fact that your bike is new points to cable stretch. Nothing to worry about - it happens to all new bikes that's why bike shops tell you to take it back for a service after only 3 weeks. It is also the rason why it is better to use your Local Bike Shop rather than cheapo internet chains.

Basically what I think has happened is that after ssome use the cables have stretched out of the tolerances of the limiters and the front mech no longer moves in enough to throw the chain down into the smaller rings. Go to your LBS they will fix it - immediately and for free if you bought it there , if not buy something when you're there or bring a box of Jaffa Cakes when you go to collect it and talk bikes to them - In the mean time try putting the bike into the lowest sprocket in the rear cassette and then try to shift down this might overcome increase the tolerance range

• bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    STP2
  • transittransit Posts: 163
    It can't be cable stretch on the front mech as that would mean the chain would jump off the inside of the small ring but wouldn't stop it changing from the large ring onto the smaller/grannie ring. I would check out the Park tools website which has some advise on it. Not sure what it could be, a jam up of some sort. If you have shifted the shifter to the lowest setting check to see if the cable to the deraillieur is slack, if so then it is jammed. If it is still undertension then the shifter is not working.