Home Chat General Chat

Is STP2 as effective as we think?? vote please

bennybenny Posts: 1,314
I voted for the temporary solution,

temporary as in: leaving the forum if no other measurements are taken!!![:'(][&o][:@]

Comments

• TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    sorry mate, but it tends to make things confusing as I am not sure which posts to read and whether there is any genuine replies. I think the best thing to do is just leave the spam posts, eventually after a day or 2 people have replied to enough posts that these crap ones are off the list.
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    see this link for voting about STP2:

http://forum.220magazine.com/tm.asp?m=21885

Lets vote on it an send the results to the admin, after all its a forum!!!
  • woodywoody Posts: 52
    does it actually work? I've read lots of legit posts, and find the STP2 within the thread. We need to block the IP address for the spammers
  • sfullersfuller Posts: 628
    its making it worse.
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    I take your point stp2 is a bit self defeating - but I hate to think that the spammers might win or that we can do nothing. Benny is quite right the Moderators should be on the ball. I'm not voting I know stp2 is not perfect but it is being proactive. Can anyone come up with something better?
  • TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    I have once again emailed admin to insist that the forum is monitored, or that one of us should be given admin rights, but i doubt it will do anything. I also emailed the spammer and asked politely if he could stop, and we are not interested.

Earlier he was online looking at the forum, waiting for us to kick up a fuss and then posting more.

Personally i really do think the best thing is to try and ignore it, you can select to block the user, which although does not hide the post it comes up with a big red ignored on it. After a few posts have been answered he has been knocked down the list anyway. Although stp2 was a good idea it made it really hard to see which threads had new messages on them.
    As a genuine user and as the stater of stp2 I now hate it the spam is easier to ignore
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Is there some other way to attract the attention of the moderator? Using profanities in the thread titles? (Altho how will that make us look, especially to new folk)..or something..
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    I'm sent e-mails and messages to the admin so many times now I think we must be best buddies.... please stop this spammer, please ban user ID ..., please give some of us admin rights etc etc.

Next step, we all start e-mailing the editor: jameswitts@originpublishing.co.uk

Also, cc the website helpdesk: onlinehelpdesk@originpublishing.co.uk

You know.... if we all complain it would give them a taste of what spam is really like.

• LuckyLucky Posts: 137
    we need more / active mods.

simple.
    Just bumping this thread for the newer forum members.

It contains one of the many examples of our previous spam problems . Just use the search function for the past year with 'spam' or 'spammer'. If you could do the search for the year before that, you guys probably wouldn't have joined the forum. The problem seemed solved after the registration policy was changed on the forum, as you probably all know and had to do yourself.

One thing you might not know, that is the most effective way to remove these spammers (not ideal, but we have to do it with this until the moderators do their jobs by themselves; sorry, but that's the way it is!!!!!!!!).

To zapp these *ù¨µ@#,/ spammers of the list, simply mail the admin with the name of the spammer(s)

My experience is that they are removing them from the member list within a day. You can find the Admin in the member list by the undercover name: 'Admin'.[;)]

Best we can do for now( as ever has been )[:@]
    Just mailed the names of the latest spammers to the admin. As it's evening and weekend, they probably will still be on hereuntil tomorrow.

for the newer members, have a look at these2 previous posts:

http://forum.220magazine.com/fb.asp?m=9846

http://forum.220magazine.com/fb.asp?m=6466

Kind of funny, well, ......or not!? [:'(]
    Benny as the instigator of STP2 I now think it only destroys this great forum. Lets avoid it and get the ghostly moderators to deal with it
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    STP2 doesn't really work for me!

Either:

- A technological solution (anti-spam devices for the forum)

- More moderators! (could require an approval for first time posters, which would get rid of 99.9% of the spam - which is mostly automated).
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    I had to vote no. If we just never look at these posts they wont get any hits and hit wee off somewhere else.
    @blinkybaz: no sir, they just don't give up, we tried ignoring: no result.

@Jack Hughes: agree totally!!

However, the main reason for me to restart this thread is to show newer people here that we are having this problem on and off for a very long time. Once these guys get on here it's really annoying. People talk about leaving the forumfor this stuff(can't blame them!).

The instructions in my previous post on how to remove spammers really works, feel freeto use ifyou seeone.

Thanks[image]http://forum.220magazine.com/micons/m6.gif[/image]