Home Chat General Chat

Timex Ironman GPS systems

Am looking at moving from Polar to Timex ironman GPS system. Can someone who has used one tell me what they think.

Comments

• DOtriHarderDOtriHarder Posts: 307
    Brtjack

Is the Timex one a two piece unit: arm sender and wrist watch?

Look at the new Garmin 205/305 they are 1 piece and the 305 has an integrated HRM the previous Garmins were a bit big on the wrist but the new ones are watch sized.

Some of the Polar ones have options for integrating a cadence unit (CX550?) Do the timex?

David
  • guv001guv001 Posts: 227
    As above go for the garmin 305 you can get hold of one for around £200 - £220 it has HRM GPS route logging speed etc etc you can also buy an extra to record/show cadence on a bike and it all hooks up to your computer for analysis with the software they provide. I have seen this piece of kit and it is impressive.
  • rebborebbo Posts: 58
    a club-mate has the Timex system (HRM strp, reciever unit on arm & watch) and is very happy with it. I have a Garmin 301 (~£150 at amazon) & am really pleased with it. Wrist unit is a little big, but much cheaper than the 305!
  • madnursemadnurse Posts: 782
    hi rebbo - am tempted by 305 as it seems have every desireable gadhet that you could need... just the price .... mightbe xmas wish list or a present to me should i ever complete a 1/2.... how well does your garmin function when swimming

madnurse (phil)
  • guv001guv001 Posts: 227
    I bet with the size of the wrist unit it produces a sizable wake for drafting.
  • rebborebbo Posts: 58
    seems fine when swimming - although i've only worn it once, at the Stratford Sprint. Will let you know how it goes at Cheshire! Not THAT big a wrist unit - you wouldn't wear it as a watch, but it's okay once it's on. So for £150 I couldn't justify spending the extra on a 305.

Might even be a positive thing - like fins/paddles it may actually help my swimming! By my (v. low) standards, the Stratford swim split was pretty good after all....
  • BonusBBonusB Posts: 279
    I would also imagine the larger profile would make it easier for it to get knocked off during the swim as well. (I have met quite a few folk who've lost watches on open water swims). Would be cause for tears at that price!