Home Chat General Chat

Hands up if you're injured

Right-o. Any good injuries out there? Anybody starting or doing re-hab at the moment? More importantly, does anybody have any injury/re-hab/recovery stories in progress that might be useful for other people.

I'm thinking of starting a 'What re-hab have you done today' thread. Does anybody else think this is useful to other forum-ites?

Comments

• Bobo

Last time I recall we talked about injuries, you gave me a some very helpful advice re. "swimmers shoulder". Specifically, NOT to swim/compete for several months under dr's orders (as you were doing). Then you sneak in to do the London Tri!!. Are you paying the price now??

Anyway my rotator cuff inflammation is coming along - trying not to swim (too much), getting physio and doing strenghtening work. Taking a long time (some 7 weeks now), but rather safe than (chronic) sorry.

Where does it hurt with you??
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Sciatic type pain, lotsa core work, balance etc..still hurts.
  • julesojuleso Posts: 279
    I wonder if it might put people off triathlon in general!

Slightly off topic - what about a 'What new skills have you learned today' thread? That might help people to learn new stuff, and it's also a bit more nice and positive.....

Btw - current injury: ribs (my intercostal muscles)

New skill learned: breathing. Yay!

• BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    Tee hee, Tukker... yes I did the London, but it was a one off and I pretty much swam one-handed. And I jogged / walked too. I was just there for the day out, really.

Injuries for me are rotator cuff impingements in BOTH shoulders now - that's what you get for swimming one-handed, apparently [:o]. Have only recently started physio, but it really seems to be helping. Problems were caused by years of front crawl and hyper-mobile joints, so I've got to do a lot of exercises to re-dress the im-balance in my shoulders.

You know when swimming coaches tell you to do lots of back-stroke to complement your crawl? You're supposed to listen and do it, I have learned.

More seriously, I've got a big old tear in my hip cartilage and some early arthritis caused by a wrongly built pelvis and femur. My surgeon, who is one of the best, is going to disconnect some muscles, chop some bits of bone off my pelvis, fix the cartilage, repair my femur and nail the muscles back in. I'll be out of action for 6 months. Surgery date still TBC, but should be in about 4 weeks. And yes, I'm cacking myself.

Sounds like Tukker is further down the shoulder recovery road than me. Be interesting to compare notes.

Britspin, have you tried Yoga? It worked a treat for Mrs. Bopo, and her life-long back trouble and sciatica has pretty much gone.

New skill learned: taking it slow and steady in the gym, instead of going nuts all the time.

Next new skills to learn: taking morphine & avoiding MRSA.
  • I have a pain in my left foot, weird to describe, like a dull ache in the instep.

Some days its not there, others its unbearable, it only occurs after running.

So am doing quite alot of bike work, i'm not to concerend as its the OFF season, so will give it time, if it dont get better suppose i'll have to go doctors.
  • I seem to have a permanent cold, a twinge in my right ankle and my left armpit keeps aching, convincing me that I am about to be struck down with glandular fever or some such horrible illness, desinged to completely wreck next season.

I hate this time of year...I am traning like made but am not sure why. Got a few runs (10K and half marathons) to do but can't help but feel a bit aimless and generally ill at the moment. God, I sound depressing. Sorry folks!
  • TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    I have a host of injuries I am trying to get over, most of them football related, but they are still impacting on my triathloning despite having quit a while ago. The current list includes 2 dodgy knees, one a medial collateral ligament tear, the other a meniscal tear. 1 dislocating shoulder, dislocated it last year, and occasionally it pops out to say hello, then goes back in, queue the numb arm, searing pain and vomiting. And the most recent one, a stress fracture of my sacrum! hah! All this and I'm only 22!

Jeez TommiTri.... you're falling to bits and only 22? Live fast and leave a good-looking corpse, eh? At least aged 38 I can put some of it down to general wear and tear!

Sorry...

Anyway, for all those knee problems and that nasty unstable shoulder are you getting any medical treatment? Also, how the hell did you stress fracture your sacrum??? Competitive squat thrusts or something?

What's your recovery schedule? I'm back to that "What re-hab..." thread idea again.

• Sorry for the one up manship, but I have had a large central right prolapsed disc at l4/5 in my back for the past 10weeks. I am able to do 30mins in the gym on the bike and in the evening maybe walk up to 1km with a couple of breaks for the past week and half. A lot of pain and weekness in my foot and leg is the main problem.

Went to see a surgeon two weeks agao and he said I was not suited to surgery at present but if I dont improve in the next four to six weeks I should consider it.I have tried all the white mans magic to get rid of this from physio, osteopath and chiro. The chiro seem to be working the best now, but if you throw enough muck at a wall some will stick. I am going to a physio that does pilates to see if that wold help tommorrow.
    Well they reckon the stress fracture may have come from deadlifts in the gym, however I know my form is good so I am not so sure. Either way it is healing slowly and only gives me a bit of gyp if I try and do deadlifts!

In regards to treatment bopo I am mostly on the conservative side, however I may be having surgery on the meniscal tear in the off-season. I have managed to rehab myself back from all these injures with a combination of yoga once a day and weights to increase muscle strength around the joints. The shoulder will always be a bit stiff, but it doesnt limit my swimming too much, and I think the ligament tear in the right knee is almost healed, it only hurts when its cold now!

• treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    Jaysis, I'm always sore and in pain ... I just get on with it.

Stop whinging!

Hope none of the injuries are serious and they get sorted soon, keep positive and you will all get there.

Injuries and pain are part of an athlete's life - take your head out of that sweet smelling and light sand Juleso

Wish I could un-whinge my way out of needing major surgery, but with all the positive thinking in the world it ain't going to happen.[:(]

At least I know that I can put up with a lot of pain. To be honest I'm seeing my recovery as a challenge, just like training for an A-race. [:)]
  • After having read that thread I feel positively fit!! I only have shin splints in both legs and a recurrent posterior tibialis injury.

Moral of the story - don't wait until the running shoes are completely lifeless before buying some more - and then get proper gait analysis!!
  • MGMG Posts: 470
    Is it just me or does most of these injuries sound like Harry Potter spells..............Posterior tibialis!!!!!
  • If only!!!![:D][:D][:D]

It is actually excruciating pain just inside the leg by the achilles - hurts like hell when running - I did the run on my last tri thinking my leg was going to fall off[:(]
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Hey Bop, have done yoga..in a class & via DVD, have gone back to it with a mind to keeping it going thru the off season at least 2 x per week, via DVD again, so not perfect, but worth a go...I will let you know.
  • learnerlearner Posts: 100
    I feel a bit of a wuss but my neck is giving me jip. Don't know why or how but it seems my left trapezus muscle has tightened up and won't let me look over either shoulder and I'm walking around like Egor from young framkenstein. Wife thinks it's funny though. (you rang master, coming master).
  • Hands up if you're injured

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: happytribunny

Users viewing this topic: happytribunny

Tree Style Subscribe Printable Version

All Forums >> [Discussion] >> General Chat >> Hands up if you're injured Page: [1]

Login
    [quote]ORIGINAL: treefrog

Jaysis, I'm always sore and in pain ... I just get on with it.

Stop whinging!

i would agree that injurys are a part of our lives but just to be careful that you don't ignore an injury thinking that it will heal or get better and continueing to train/compete with it and make it worse a friend of mine has shin splints and was told that she should rest them for 2-3 weeks if she didn't it could develop into a stress fracture!

and for my two cents worth-i have piriformis syndrome (more harry potter sounding stuff!) on both legs,two clicking hips and some problems with my right knee. though not as many left shoulder problems as i had last year due to taking up doing pilates...
  • rj1265rj1265 Posts: 70
    Hi all - This is thread could quite easily put every one off sport let alone triathlon.

I'm 40 and I always ache hurt all over after training ...[:)]

injuries affecting perfomance ... too many,

minimal cartilage in both knees (had ops at age 21 to repair.... end of serious rugby career)

dislocated shoulder / torn muscles yachting (never properly healed)

broken coccyx 10 years ago (still get pain from it)

currently in middle of rehab from lower back problem 10 weeks ago (major back spasms , whole lower back locked, the funny side of this, is it occurred as I was getting my wallet out of my back pocket - Mrs reckons I was trying to avoid paying the bill!!)

Happy rehab

R.
  • I'm a bit humbled by all your walking wounded talk, and barely feel able to mention Achilles Tendonitis.

It's been winding me up for months (started in April), every time I think I'm OK it comes back. I stopped running completely from August in an attempt to clear it up. Good thin is that the extra training time available means my swimming is improving.
  • puddlespuddles Posts: 37
    Hi people,

suddenly i dont feel too bad about nearly pulling out of my second tri- reading some of your injuries.

I have had cramp in the exact same muscle 4 times over a period of about 5 months.

Its in my right leg, up the top part of hamstring/deep in my ass cheek. Sounds funny i no but so painful. Nearly pulled out of tri on sunday. only my second tri and last one of the season so persiveered. Mayb a bad idea?

still painful but not as bad as yesterday. Caused me at least 20 mins slower on the 15 mile bike- gutted.

Any1 no why i mite be gettin this? Some say lack of salt but i dont think so. also lack of salt would cause cramp in other muscles as well wouldnt it?

Sorry 4 being so long winded [:)] Any help much appreciated!! but mite hav to get it seen to anyway

• AdyShawAdyShaw Posts: 19
    Been to the docs today complaining of wrist pain when lifting and more importantly when cycling on my tri-bars. Turns out i have tendon inflamation.

I am currently using Profile T2+ Extension bars which are relatively straight, i think this is causing my problem.

Would be interested if anybody else has suffered with this problem?

I havent suffered the problem but there is quite an interesting article you should read about straight/ s bend bars compared with ski-bend ones. I would suggest changing to ski-bend style if I were you.

article - http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/features/sbend.shtml

• ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    Pilates

For general muscle, joint achey type of stuff.

I was in agony 18 mths ago from an old injury to my left shoulder, couldn't do weights, press ups, chin lifts etc. went to chiro, £25 for a 5 min massage - paah!

After a year of Pilates, pain has gone and now able to start limited weights and gradually building upper body strength. Core streength also increased and back twinges have all but gone as well

OK its not macho, but its not all hairy chin women in leotards. Have (quite a stunning) female trainer who really knows her stuff, unfortunately also tasked by my wife to whip me into shape for next season - no pigging out at (dare I say that word now?) Christmas.
  • NobzNobz Posts: 22
    I'll add my ailments to the list [:(]

Only decided to start training for tri's next year at the start of September (from a swimming background), got in a couple of weeks base training running and cycling and was feeling quite good then woke up one morning in absolute agony with my back. Luckily I was seeing my physion the next day for another problem and been diagnosed with a herniated (sp?) disc in my lower back so had to completely knock the running on the head just for pain reasons!

Have been back on the bike in the last couple of weeks an my back feels good so seeing physio again tomorrow and hope to start running again next week.

My other problem stems back from about 8yrs about when I dislocated my right should, badly, tearing up all the ligaments nearly. Saw a physio at the time and the problem seemed to go away but was never quite right, start of this year I began having pain and limited movement and was seeing a physio for 6 months with minimal progress, finally got a meeting with a consultant this afternoon with a view to almost certainly having to have surgery.

This might ruin the training idea but hopefully by the end of tomorrow I'll at least knew where I stand!

I feel like I'm falling apart and I'm only 27.....
    Well, the physio is working wonders on my rotator cuff problems in my shoulders.

Surgery date for the hip is confirmed as 17th November.

First steps on the road to recovery. [:D]

Bring it on.

• Currently I have lower back problems. Tore a muscle in my back several weeks ago. Even before this though, I always suffer some form of dull pain in my lower right back area. Any suggestions from anyone what this is. My doc says it is just aches from training but I have had it for years on and off. I have had recommendations of using an inversion table which would help with decompression of the spine. Has anyone got any experience of using one of these tables??
  • Hello all

I also am feeling the winter ache! Not as bad as you guys though. I had a rotator cuff injury and after 3months the physio gave up and i had surgery. Best decision i ever made after swimming London one handed! My shoulder is (almost) as good as new and hardly ever gives me pain - bonus! Feeling bit sore around my hip flexor and generally achy but thats it for me so feel well off now!!

Hope you all recover in time for March

helen
    Helen.... how long did your recovery take after the rotator cuff surgery? I'm currently in physio for the same injury, both shoulders now, and while I do not get the constant pain anymore I still cannot swim.

Just wondering about recovery durations as I'm thinking I should push for a surgical solution while I'm recovering from my impending hip surgery.
  • Hi Bopomofo

My surgery went really well. Didnt have a sling or anything. Physio every hour on the hour at home which if you go through the pain barrier is worth it. I could lift my arm straight above my head without help after only a few days. Was back at work two weeks later and doctor advised me to join the gym just two months later. Had my surgery in Nov 2006 and have never looked back. Best decision i ever made. Have upped my distance to Sprint distance and apart from a general ache no probs at all. I had constant pain all day every day whilst doing nothing. now i can swim 2Km and my shoulder just aches as if its tired!! Go for it!!