Home Chat General Chat

Storing Wetsuits

Hi All,

What's the best way to store my wetsuit over the winter before I brave open water swimming again?

Thanks,

L

Comments

• GHarvGHarv Posts: 456
    I've put mine on hanger, put on a plastic cover e.g. a suit cover and hung it in the wardrobe.

BUt i'll take onboard any better suggestions if there are any?

G
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    I did the same - are there any better suggestions?
  • I have mine on a hanger that I have put a section of foam pipe insulation on, the type you can get from any DIY store, then hang the suit inside out over it at about the waist. By doing this you don't put any strain on the shoulder area of the suit as you would if you hung it conventionally and the larger surface area of the foam wont damage the neoprene of the suit.

You can normally only get the insulation in packs of more than one but you can use what's left to protect you bike / frame if your travelling with it in a bike bag or box so theres no waste.
  • triadtriad Posts: 62
    I've heard that if you pack it away you should cover it in talcum powder to prevent disintegration and decay.
  • lucyecoffey wrote:

Hi All,

What's the best way to store my wetsuit over the winter before I brave open water swimming again?

Thanks,

L

No need to store wetsuit at all for those of you that live in (west) London and about. Princess Lake will be open for swimming year around on saturday mornings from 0800 to 0900.

Come and join us - sauna on the dock is ready for you as you get out of the water!

• JonhinioJonhinio Posts: 289
    Hi there. Where is Princess Lake?
  • What about washing it first?

Is there any preparation that needs to be done prior to storing?
  • Jonhinio wrote:

Hi there. Where is Princess Lake?

It's in Bedfont / Ashford area between the A308 and A30 (inside M25). Link to club below. It's owned and run by Glenn ?, who also runs Slippery Fish Swim Clinics. Very friendly place. You can open water swim right now on Sat. Mornings only from 0800 to 0900. From April on, it will be back to 0600 - 0900 weekends, and also on Monday eves. Getting chilly now, some were starting to wear booties. Feet go a bit numb after 40 min. or so.

See you there

http://www.princesclub.com/index.asp

• BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Madness, complete madness.
  • GC 43GC 43 Posts: 2

[*]For long term storage such as over-wintering I turn the suit inside out and store flat in a cool place; if you have to fold the suit, do it lightly avoiding compression and/or creases. I have heard that keeping it on a hangar for long periods without use can cause changes in the shape/fit of the suit over time although I am not sure how true this is.

[*]For storage during the race season I put mine on a large plastic hanger (one of those ones sold with suit jackets that have wider support for the shoulders) and then hang it in the wardrobe.
  • My wetsuits are folded lightly and stored in the bottom of my Sports Kit cupboard. The instructions leaflet thingy that came with said not to hang it up. Before it was put away, it was rinsed clean with tap water, hung up to dry for a few days. Hopefully moths don't eat neoprene
  • You definintely shouldn't store your wetsuit on a hanger for months on end as it will stretch and distort out of shape because it is made of rubber. Instead fold it and put it in a drawer.
  • nivaghnivagh Posts: 595
    Wear it at home in the evenings. Should help to offset those rising utilities prices, too... [:)]
  • nivagh wrote:

Wear it at home in the evenings. Should help to offset those rising utilities prices, too... [:)]

... and can be used as a gimp suit at halloween![:D]
  • nivaghnivagh Posts: 595
    Hmm... the 2XU Gimp :-)

That should scare away any little children who come knocking on my door...[:D]
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Hang, not hang, fold, not fold, talc, no talc, who knew it would be so complex.
  • MrSquishyMrSquishy Posts: 277
    Conehead's keeping it simple!