Home Chat General Chat

Race day checklist

Can anyone point me to a site with a good race day checklist of all the things I'll need to take. I'd forget my head if it wasn't screwed on so I'm bound to forget something on race day. (BTW it's my first one)

S

Comments

• jazdogjazdog Posts: 223
    Hey Scotchio,,

Tri and get a hold of the 220 mag... this month has a big section on transitions and they give you a checklist of things to take...

not seen any on the web anywhere!

Jazdog
  • loonytoonloonytoon Posts: 673
    This site has a few checklists

Triathlonrules

• RewRew Posts: 62
    It's fairly a straight forward thing really. I find that a couple of days before an event I get my things together. Then if you do remember anything else its not too late.

Swim = wetsuit, goggles,

Bike= Bike(obvious i know) helmet, shoes, glasses, drink,

Run= trainers, gel/drink

Number belt , towel, change, food for recovery and a smile
  • I'd add a couple of things to that....

Bike= puncture repair gear

Run= cap (in case it's sunny) and/or sun tan lotion.

I had a nasty experience earlier in the season with a touch sun stroke after an event. The sun cream is now first in the bag! Adds a few seconds to T2 but well worth it.

Cheers

Good point.

I always carry a couple of new tubes in my saddle bag. It's just quicker to replace the tube if you do get a flat.
  • BonusBBonusB Posts: 279
    Yeah I've gone down the tube path as well, though I've also got leeches (simple peel and stick patches) if I get really unlucky, I use a saddle bag and have one of those compressed gas things instead of a pump, not sure how effective they are. Anyone know anything about them?
    I did try the gas things but after wasting two i went back to using a double action pump ( inflates on the push and pull ).

I've been lucky to only have had one flat while out on a ride in the last four years!!! How lucky am I.
    a collapsable plastic box to carry it all in to transition... haven't used on myself but saw loads of folks with one at stratford and figure its a pretty good idea.

Carry it in collapse it to aid the lay out - pack it all back in at the end. save's taking a great bike bag into trans

And don't forget one with a lid. If it rains as much as it did at Blenheim then you will have wet gear to change back into unless you do.
  • For the swim I'd add anti-fog spray and bodyglide/babyoil etc.

If in open water (i.e. cold and with wetsuit) then it's worth having some anti-fog liquid for your goggles to stop them from steaming up - mine never did in the pool but became totally fogged up the first time I swam in cold water. Also, I found that puting bodyglide or some other babyoil type lotion on the cuffs and ankles of your wetsuit really does work - the wetsuit whips straight off, whereas without it I end up falling on the floor, tugging the suit for hours. Some people also recommend having a swim cap so that you can put it on underneath the race cap with the goggles in between - not sure whether this works.

• I do the double swim cap with goggles in between after someone teling me about it and having my goggles knocked off at Dorney challenge tri earlier this summer. it just holdsthem in place better and now unless someone ams an upper cut directly above my nose there is no way they are coming off. Also very good to reduce worrying about whether your goggles will fall off if you have to dive in.
  • ?? Why wear two swim hats? why not just put the goggles on first under the one swim hat, it works for me.

David

I think wearing 2 hats means the goggles aren't in contact with the hair so don't damage it...or if the top cap comes off (like the bloke next to me at london) you still have a cap on...
  • yeah its a fair point,i'm not really sure why. however, it helped at the national club relays where you have to spot the swimmer coming in to tag you. You have to try and work out which guy in a dark wetsuit and rubber hat ws actually on your team! I was wearing a garish pink hat underneath, so when I got out the water I whipped off the white hat and the next guy spotted me a mile off.

Also it just seems to hold it in place better, or maybe i am the fool!
  • did anybody add tri suit or top and shorts? think they might be helpful aftger you take off the wetsuit!