Home Chat General Chat

Very Tired

Recently I have been feeling very tired, more so than usual [;)]

I used to be energetic, able to get up early and work out and only really feel sleepy tired late on in evening, especially after a workout. Now though, I dont feel refreshed even when I wake up in the morning, always feel pretty tired and this is affecting my day to day life and most importantly [;)] my training!!!

Anyone got any ideas? Im going to try and get an appointment at the docs tomorrow and convince them to do a blood work up!

Comments

• AmazonAmazon Posts: 57
    Hey there!

Going to your doctor is a good idea, it will either identify a problem, or put your mind at rest that there is nothing medically going on, and should certainly be the first port of call.

It's very difficult to try and rule other things out without knowing more details like weekly training total, dietry issues, racing schedule, amount of sleep etc - however I do have a fair amount of knowledge about over training due to my work.

If you wanted to discuss over PM then please get in contact and I can learn a little bit more about the symtoms. It may be something really simple - like lack of iron, which the doctor may sort out.

But equally if it is down to overtraining then that's pretty easy to put right too - the most important thing is to identify the problem before it starts affecting you anymore.

Take care.

Amazon
  • my friend had this kind of problem two years ago when she was trainind for a marathon and doing tri's she was falling asleep in work and had no energy as it turns out she had an iron deficiency. how did the doc's appointment go?
  • Could be exhaustion from over training.

Also, the onset of winter and less sunlight (melatonin, etc), won't help.

Maybe try easing off the training for a week or so and see if that helps.
  • sfullersfuller Posts: 628
    well i went to the doc, she asked me loads of questions about my diet, exercise, lifestyle, stress, work......

going for some blood tests tomorrow....
  • Hi there Sfuller

I also have been feeling tired all the time lately to the point where i was feeling dizzy whilst swimming!!

Being a bit more of a 'natural' girl i tried the health food shops. This was only Saturday and i am feeling better everyday already! She gave me a tonic full of vitamins and Iron (smells and tastes like sweaty feet) and some Ginsing tablets for more stamina. I havent trained for a few days either to let my body rest but its feeling ready to go now. Gonna try the track tonight just for a gentle jog for an hour. Health food shops can be quite good sometimes!

Helen
    Thanks for the response.

Had bloodwork done and will find out on Fri.

i eat healthy, home cooked food... lots of fruit, veg and meat... my diet couldnt be that much better to be honest. Don't take any supplements (vits, iron tabs) though....
  • GHarvGHarv Posts: 456
    Earlier in the year i went through a stage where i was tired a lot. I put it down to really upping the training as i got into tri. Heard about iron and went on to a multi vitamin with iron and echinacea (supposed to help endurance) and feel fine now. Think for me it was probably a bit of overtraining until my body got accustomed to it.
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    Had similar symptoms 4 years ago,blood tests showed up as Epstein Barr and parvovirus (always thought my dog got inoculated for that).My Doc is a keen runner so was sympathetic and advocated alot of rest with only gentle exercise,took about 18 months before I could up the tempo and even now have to be careful and cut back if I start to feel tired.I did find that taking supplements with added Glutamine did help. glutamine by itself is available from SIS.Best of luck.
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    I think go to the doctor - just in case - but beware doctors are used to dealing with unhealthy (inactive) people and in this letigious climate will err on the side of caution, they'll tell you to take time off and rest. Try and go to a sports friendly/specific doctor and insist on blood tests etc.

If its any comfort many athletes from all sports feel tired at this time of year due to end of season blues, temperature drop, lack of light, change in routine ie SAD.

• BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    I have recently ceased the vitamin thing..not thrown them out yet, but may be a matter of time...feel fine 1 month in, but offseason training is a little less intense.
    so I finally got an appointment tonight to hear the results from my blood tests.

I have taken 2 weeks from training and have re-started this morniung with a 45 minute swim before work. fingers crossed its good news!
    Well, turns out Im normal, the doc thinks it my sleep.... need to go see a doctor who knws about sleep disorders....