Home Chat General Chat

London to Brighton Bike ride 2009

Ever had one of those mad moments when you came up with a plan whilst having an end of season drik with your fellow tri partners???????

So heres the plan, we want to do the London to Brighton Bike ride starting off at 6am along with the elite cyclists and do the route non stop, not a problem I hear you say; we then have transport arranged for bikes and people and then are going to drive back upto Clapham Common and do it all again simply because it has never been done before; its also good trainning or so I believe.

So if your mad enough to consider doing this along with it being covered in many national newspapers then pls drop me a line to my e mail address: iogi@btopenworld.com

Thanks fellow mad people

Ian

Comments

• sfullersfuller Posts: 628
    I have a question.

Why are you riding down, getting a lift back, then riding down again? why not just ride down and then ride back...... same distance?
  • we are riding it all again as it has never been done twice in one day, as in the full london to brighton course that is, we also want to be on the course again before the last entrant crosses the start line. Are up for the challegne then ????

whats the date? I might do it.
  • the date is on fathers day, if ur keen to do it, then let me know via e mail and who knows we might be able to get even more publicity for it and see if 220 want to cover it
    what day is fathers day?
  • TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    june 21st? is that right? I would be up for that, sounds like fun.
    possibility for sure.
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    I attempted to do the 6am start this year.... got there about 5:45 and didn't get across the start line until about 6:40.

If you're going to do this, plan to be there about 5am. Also, don't take your pride and joy, take your training bike. Lots of people out there who don't know how to ride in a pack. I got knocked off by one of them and had to spend 15 minutes freeing up my brakes and bending my front derailleur straight. [:@]

Nice ride though. Ditchling Beacon and the blast down into Brighton are great fun. [:D]

But no... I'm not doing it.

• For sure, sounds like a good crack. Good training too for IM. Total mileage would be in excess of 180 miles????

Although if people are going to genuinely do this then maybe setting up an email system as opposed to everything on the thread

??? would be easier to organise etc.

Training rides on a sunday?
  • timtim Posts: 43
    Sounds like an adventure. been doing LtoB for about 5-6 years. In 07 i did it but could not secure a lift home, so i rode afterwards from Brighton to Woking, it nearly killed me. This year i did it again, for the craic, I was much more sensible about it, ate some food during and trained harder before, I actually really enjoyed it.

Not to sure driving back up to London and then doing it again would be ideal, you'll get at least an hour (given all the bike traffic probably more) to cool down, and then have to start up again, but hey who am i to say your crazy! needless to say it will take you all day, from 6-9 first ride, say 9-11 to get back then 11 to about 6 to get there again (sooo many bikes) and then home.

I think the Windsor Tri is on the same date though so i may be giving it a complete miss this year, however if windsor falls through (or is on a different date) i may be tempted to tag along!

Tim

It will be just over 100 miles. only 50 miles or so to brighton from london.
  • MrSquishyMrSquishy Posts: 277
    Is it just the early starters where there's riding in packs Bopo, or is that the norm whatever time you set off? Trying to convince the g/f that we should ride it next year and as she's not the most confident cyclist at the moment I have a bit of a selling-in job to do and want to make sure she's aware of what it's going to be like before we get to the start.
  • Ok I think the plan is to have the help of the organisers of the london to brighton as in the BHF, we would start off as a group going non stop down to brighton, I guess working on a tour de france basis where someone else takes the lead regularly so as to get good speed, at the finish line there will be massage therapist on hand to rub where it hurts before us going back up to london in cars with the bikes following behind in a warm, dry and well supported van, by this I mean all bikes will be stood upright with more than adequate foam or bubble wrap as well as being strapped down as no one wants to have their pride and joy damaged now do they ??

Lets make this actually happen and be the first to do this ???

E mail me at iogi@btopenworld.com to at least put a name in !!!!