Home Chat General Chat

Additional training using gym classes???

Does anyone have a view of using the classes at my local gym run as additional training session (especially over the winters months). Spinning obviously has it benefits - What about a session like body balance (A dynamic yoga-based stretch and strengthening), will improving my flexibility and core strength help me in the long run? - Body Pump, I really struggle with this class as I’m currently built for brute strength and hi reps (even at low weights) really causes me to fatigue quickly. As an ex rugby player things like flexibly aren’t currently included in my skill set [:)] Will this sort of cross training be beneficial to me or is it just worth concentrating on the 3 core disciplines? All advice/comments welcome Scott

Comments

• JohnYJohnY Posts: 6
    I do an astanga yoga class every week, think bodyBALANCE only a bit tougher.

It's a hard workout, but helps keep flexibility up/improve flexibility, and I think, helps prevent injuries.

• will improving my flexibility and core strength help me in the long run?

Flexibility and improved core strength will improve EVERY aspect of EVERY sporting endeavour and even some leisurely ones!
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Ditto all of the above, Body Pump will assist in building some localised muscular endurance, in the off season..why not, however in preseason it is not specific enough to be as useful as targetted work, zeroing in on those muscles, & more importantly movements, that you will be asking those muscles to do repetitively during the racing season.
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    I look at all of this yoga and gym stuff as complimentary training - its good but don't lose sight of the fact that you have to build a good base ie get the miles in long hard cold miles in the pool on the bike and on the road
  • thanks for the responses - apart from spinning I was going to add these claases into my plan as addtional work outs rather than cores ones and really wanted to check if they would have positive/negatitve effect - so I shall pencil them in now.