Home Chat General Chat

City of Bath Tri

I`m keen to venture into OD next year having only done pool based sprints over the last 2 years. I have just discovered that Bathamphibians do a pool based OD in July. This seems ideal as I have no exp of open water swimming. Its £50 entry seems a bit steep but having never done OD before I`m not sure if this is the going rate.

Can anyone recommend this event or suggest any others of a similar nature within 1 hrs drive of Taunton.

Thanks

(Sorry if i should have posted this in "Events")

Comments

• It was an excellent tri (the sprint distance anyway!) if a little hot this year!! Worth the cash as one of the better organised ones in the SW, although if you intend to do it train for hills - the first one out of Dunkerton is 16%....there is a thread on this forum about it somewhere....

Hope to see you there

Iain.
  • LindsLinds Posts: 124
    The sprint this year wasa my first ever event and I lvoed it.

But it was bloody hot and a seriously hilly bike section

And the swim is in a 50m pool which is so much nocer than a 25m pool.

I'm signing up for the sprint again next year
  • Linds - you not interested in the oly - the bike course looks fun and there is a bit of gap between the really big hills (unlike on the sprint)!!
  • Jason NJason N Posts: 36
    Thanks guys

Looks like its a tri worth doing. To be honest the swim is my main concern as I have never gone that far before. My longest swim training for sprint was 3 x 500m with 1 min rest. I hear that tri wetsuits give you extra bouyancy which I imagine helps a bit if your feeling a bit pooped 3/4 the way round. But I guess that swimming in the relative calm of a pool outweighs the carnage of an open water effort.

This is pure speculation on my part. Can anyone confirm/deny my suspicions........

To be honest though, whatever the response I`m gonna do it.

See you there c dwarf
  • LindsLinds Posts: 124
    Iain

I'm a chicken!

I'm not sure yet if I'm going to attempt an oly next year, and if i do it will only be the one event, so the event will be dictated by my training and other events (well that's the text book answer, reality will be more dependant on how much nagging i get from my wife and if i just throw caution to the wind and sign up for one anyway).

If I remember correctly, whilst the hills on the oly course are more spread out, I think the sprint missed out the last, and probably the worst hill, on the course - which is pretty scary stuff when i think about the two hills on the sprint!

Linds