Home Chat General Chat

Tri bike on the cheap

Hi,

I have two major events next year, 70.3 UK and 70.3 Germany. I have only got a road bike which I love, however during races I feel at a big disadvantage. Now these events don't come cheap as I know many of you will be aware. I was wondering if it possible to build a half descent tri bike from scratch, well, buy all the parts second hand and build myself.

Has anyone else done this, got any advise to pass on?

Comments

• BARNYBARNY Posts: 157
    No is te answer to you're question.

You shoud upgrade your current bike wheels, groupset (you lose a lot of weight from this), etc.

Once you done the upgrading you should have the old bit which you can use to put on a crappy frame of ebay.. then sell it as a complete bike and use the profit, on top of sale of your main bike, to buy a decent bike.. job a good'n!
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    grant.smith wrote:

Hi,

I have two major events next year, 70.3 UK and 70.3 Germany. I have only got a road bike which I love, however during races I feel at a big disadvantage.

Get a tri-bike, that would be a great way to deal with the disadvantadge.

It will make your bike leg faster, but most important, it will also improve you run spectacularly.

If you can't/don't want to afford 2 bikes (like me), sell your current bike and get the cervelo soloist team. It can be used as road bike and tribike , simply by shifting the seat post to become the geometry you need.

there are a few threads about it:

http://forum.220magazine.com/tm.asp?m=17996

http://forum.220magazine.com/fb.asp?m=21640&key=cervelo%2Csoloist

• TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    It depends what you deem 'on the cheap'.

I had my Cervelo P2C with full dura-ace groupset, full carbon cockpit, easton ea 50s for 1500, which I think is pretty cheap as the frame alone normally retails for 1300!
  • sfullersfuller Posts: 628
    TommiTri, how you manage that?
  • TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    I got the frame from a guy in loughborough who builds the bikes for british triathlon, he was ok with me sourcing all the parts myself and thanks to some fantastic deals from slanecycles and my platinum discount at wiggle It was all put together on the cheap! But its a fantastic bike, and I have saved about 1000 which will buy a new set of wheels next year!
  • grant1974grant1974 Posts: 262
    How does the cervelo soloist team turn into TT/tri bike just buy turning the seat post around?
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    the seat post is not symmetrical. Shifting it puts it more forward, thus creating a different bike geometry.(sounds easy for me, since I have the soloist in front of me here [:D]).