Home Chat General Chat

Running warm down

How long should you warm down for after running. I usually run for an hour and then spend 15 minutes doing very light/slow jogging followed by 15 minutes of walking. Is this correct or is there a better way?

Comments

• treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    Boy you are a boy scout this sounds to be a text book warm down. Mine are usually a short cycle homwe and a swear word punctuated striptease in front of the washing machine
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    It sounds like you have eother to much time on your hands or very tight muscles after a run. It is clear that we all have a different need when it comes to a warm down but man you is doin a lot.

I'm in the same system as treefrog a short light warm down and strip for the washing machine.
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    I'm with treefrog on this one. I will sometimes* spend a few minutes walking up and down with big long strides, maybe do some very long stride running, slowly reducing stride length up until taking tiny fast steps etc, just for a bit of muscle movement variety....

...however, my main post-run routine involves sweating, standing about with hands on hips trying not to faint, blowing snot-rockets and telling the wife that the smell is sweat, not cat pee.

I thought this was normal. I certainly don't have time/inclination to spend 30mins cooling down after a 60min run and I'd guess you've gone well beyond diminshing returns after about 10 mins.

*This is mainly theoretical, of course. Running is just a distant memory (well, 4 months ish) until my surgeon works his magic. Jogging is all, for me.

• johnnyjohnny Posts: 4
    I used to not bother but then spent some time training with a boxer and had it beaten into me that it was a much better idea to cool down properly. The time it takes is a problem.
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    Cut it down a lot. Keep doing it if you want , but it would give you more to keep running for another 20 minutes and then a 10 min cool down (which is still 9 minutes and a half more than I do[&:]).
  • [:D]I warm down with a few pints of Real Ale

Cheers