Home Chat General Chat

To cleat or not to cleat

Alright, so I've been reading the forum for a good while now and must say I've picked up some great advice from the regulars which I truly appreciate being new to all this multi discipline lark.

I've signed up for 3 sprints next year (eton, windsor and london) and cycle to work, run at lunchtimes and swim irregularly. All well and good. But I'm thinking of just keeping my hybrid bike for the races but upgrading to cleats.

My question is... Am I better off just sticking with my bog standard pedals and wearing my running shoes? Nice quick transition... Or would cleats make a huge difference?

Thanks again to all for your words of wisdom and encouragement, you know who you are!

Comments

• ardkeenardkeen Posts: 152
    There's an alternative device instead of cleats, it 's like a platform, not clips that you can use your running shoes on. Very quick transition for sprints.
  • zoezoe Posts: 28
    without a doubt, go for cleats...

I can't do the science bit, but the advantage on the bike will usually outweigh the time spent on changing shoes in transition!

• JulesJules Posts: 987
    How quick can people get their transition time down to? With cleats obviously when you've racked your bike you have to get one pair of shoes off and one on in addition to the rest of your transition. I've not done this myself yet but I'm guessing that with a bit of practice the extra shoe on shoe off bit can be got down to only a few seconds, if you have velcro straps and elastic laces. Riding with cleats must gain you that over toe-clips surely or no-one would bother.

Cleated shoes and matching pedals - more "stuff" I need to buy!
  • I've got my swim to bike transition down to 30-45 seconds now (depending on the venue).

Clipping the shoes to the pedals first makes a huge difference and it's really not that hard to get your feet in and out while still moving.

It may seem like you're wasting time just rolling along putting your shoes on rather then pedalling but how far do you travel while standing still putting your shoes on?

Running barefoot is also easier IMO than with cleated shoes on.

Practice first on a turbo trainer if you can, then find a clear space where you can roll around slipping you feet in and out of your shoes.

Next try looping a thin elastic band through the pull loops on the back of your shoes (one reason to get tri specific shoes) and loop one onto your front mech and the other round the rear wheel quick release. The attachment points are easier if you can get used to right foot forward.

The bands hold the shoes level as you run and jump on but snap (this is why you want thin ones not the red ones the postie leaves a trail of) as you start pedalling.

Make sure you crank up the retention though or your shoes might come off as you run back in and waste time haveing to go back for them.
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    If search was working you'd be able to find the threads where we've talked about leaving your shoes attached to the pedals and putting them on / taking them off while actually moving.

If you are cycling more than about 400 metres the time advantage of using cleats will beat any additional transition time.

Also, practice makes you quicker.

• bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    Bopomofo wrote:

If search was working you'd be able to find the threads where we've talked about leaving your shoes attached to the pedals and putting them on / taking them off while actually moving.

Wake up BOPO, search has been fixed for a week or three already.[sm=rolleyes.gif]......[:D]

Where have you been; been out secretly training again have you???

About the cleats: go for them, they'll save time and make your cycling technique better.

About those platforms:I think ardkeen means pyro platforms: http://www.tri-zone.com/Details.html?cat=69&item=PYPLT

Lots of duathletes use these .
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    benny wrote:
    ORIGINAL: Bopomofo

Wake up BOPO, search has been fixed for a week or three already.[sm=rolleyes.gif]......[:D]

Where have you been; been out secretly training again have you???

About the cleats: go for them, they'll save time and make your cycling technique better.

About those platforms:I think ardkeen means pyro platforms: http://www.tri-zone.com/Details.html?cat=69&item=PYPLT

Lots of duathletes use these .

Call me stupid, but how are those platform things different from toeclips on regular pedals?

• julesojuleso Posts: 279
    Wouldn't using clipless pedals on a hybrid look a bit funny?
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    juleso wrote:

Wouldn't using clipless pedals on a hybrid look a bit funny?

You ain't seen the me ride... or run... or swim yet. Those platform things look like what I used to get my feet measured with as a kid!

Thanks for your input everyone, reckon I'll be splashing some cash at the weekend.
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    Oi, Benny! I'm wide awake, thanks..... awake enough to notice that search only works sometimes.

You're only making fun of me because you know I can't run after you.

Actually, I just looked and search is working now, so I searched for 'transition cleats' and got loads of hits... Flavadave, try it quickly before it breaks again. You will find many words of wisdom (and some stuff from me and Benny) about cleats and how to (ab)use them.

• bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    Bopomofo wrote:

Oi, Benny! I'm wide awake, thanks..... awake enough to notice that search only works sometimes.

You're only making fun of me because you know I can't run after you

watch it Bopo, I just had 3.5 weeks of rest, so I bet you could still catch me now, despite the injury.

See you didn't lose the sense of humour there, maybe it'stime we introduce some newbies to the ''red, waxed, carbon, expensive, porridge''- theory!?[:D]