Home Chat General Chat

Tri bars

I have a Giant ocr and doing the London next year, which will be my first Triathlon. My question is tri bars are they worth adding the extra weight or not. I can only afford the cheap bars.

Comments

• TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    its not really about the extra weight, although that may become an issue if you don't use them!

Aero bars are the one piece of equipment that is proven to take minutes off your bike leg, so long as you have your bike set up properly with them.

The problem with just sticking them on and hoping that does the trick is that when you do down on them your upper body is going to get lower and your torso will get closer to your thigh when its at the top of the stroke, compressing the torso femur angle that is made between your torso and your upper leg. This is the reason for the steeper seat angle found on tri-specific bikes, it essentially brings the seat more vertically over the bottom bracket, so as to open up this angle.

If you just put the tri bars on with your seat in its normal position, it is likely this angle will be too compressed, this will be more detrimental to your bike time than any benefit your would get out of the bars.

The best advice is to take your bike to your LBS where you intend to get the bars from, get a bit fit with them on. But when set up correctly aero bars are a great investment and will save you loads of time!

Don't be surprised though if you find the bike feeling a little unstable at the beginning, it takes a little while to get used to them! So don't go straight out on the main road! Spend a few hours on a quiet rode getting used to them.

Eventually you will get used to them, they are far more relaxing than being on the drops!
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    I agree with Tommitri. Aerobars improve your speed by improving your position on the bike, but you must train on them as in some cases you trade comfort for speed so you must be fully prepared to race on it. Also aero bars can be a bit of a liability on a very technical course (twisty) especially if you are not confident in your handling skills - but then there's only one way to improve them!

When buying your first bars go for adjustability and then when you have your ideal set up get the super lightweight model that matches your requirements

• frodofrodo Posts: 4
    Thanks for the help gents and I'll certainly give them ago.

• frodofrodo Posts: 4
    If a punture happens is it not best to carry a spare tube than mess about with repair kits?? What are the main things I should carry?
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    Don't even think of fixing a puncture new tube every time. top tip take the old tube home and mend it ... or sling it
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    As SEARCH does not appear to be working - wonder if anyone has noticed this - you may wish to look at this:

http://forum.220magazine.com/tm.asp?m=22306&mpage=1&key=&#22329
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    Ask benny. Search is always working for benny. [:D]
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    Just tried it; it works spectacularly good!

Probably some Belgian computer thingie.

(My laptop is red, completely hair-free and made of the most expensive aero-carbon). Might be one of the reasons!?[8D][:D]