Home Chat General Chat

Punture kits!!

Gas to inflate tyres, spare tub, repair kit, first aid kit, kitchen sink??? What are you meant to carry? A little help here please!!

Comments

• treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    2 tubes, 2 CO2 cannisters & "head", tyre levers, sticky patches £10.00 note, mobile phone and a mini pump if you're feeling particularly unlucky
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    treefrog wrote:

2 tubes, 2 CO2 cannisters & "head", tyre levers, sticky patches £10.00 note, mobile phone and a mini pump if you're feeling particularly unlucky

Or if you happen to be Chrissie Wellington ,make that three CO2 cannisters.Innovations now do a micro pump that allows for a CO2 attachment,called Second Wind.
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    gunforhire wrote:

..or buy Specialized Armadillo tyres - they're bullet proof![;)]

http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/reviews/review.phtml/2192/3216/specialized-armadillo-tyres-cycling-puncture.phtml

Or go the whole hog and buy the armadillo tyres,buy an extra puncture resistant strip to place inside the tyres,replace the standard inner tube with one with slime sealant,and then calculate the increase in rotational mass you have now to cycle with,if only Mr Dunlop hadn't invented the puncture.
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    I've bought some CO-canister thingie thats for one use only, that includes some fluid polyster or so, that inflates and seals punctures in one single action. I believe that willbe all I carry on my next race. Seems quite fast and very light for the big days.

When on training I carry:spare tube, tyre levers, co and mini pump that fits co canisters as well
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    Sounds daft, but do make sure you know how to use a CO2 refill canister before you have to do it in a race. If you connect it badly it will freeze your valve, leaving you with a flat tyre and a blocked valve that you cannot inflate even with your pump (at least until it thaws out).

I don't use CO2 myself, just a small pump, so for race days I have pump, 2 x tubes, tyre levers, mobile phone with ICE number programmed. There's also the sports drink & gels, but I'll leave that up to you.

For training rides I add puncture repair kit, cash, multi-tool, chain splitter with pins and - if there's even the slightest chance of getting stuck in the dark - lights.

• Personnaly i have puncture proofs but during training rides will carry co2,puncture kit and most important a mobile. If you cant repair and your miles from home thenit will have to be that call to the wife for help and the car.

Race days i put all these bits in my transition box and dont carry on the race due to the type of tyre used (so far so good).my theory being that if you get a flat the race is over so have a nice walk back.
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    First timer wrote:

my theory being that if you get a flat the race is over so have a nice walk back.

That was my opinion too, until I heard about the product I've described in a previous post in this thread. I haven't tried it out yet (didn't flat in the time I've gotten it), but I think you can fix a flat in about a minute with this. So I prefer losing a minute in a 2hours+ race and still finish it, rather then not finishing it and having to walk back bike in hands.

Of course, for top 10 finishers that would be a different story.[&:]
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    my theory being that if you get a flat the race is over so have a nice walk back

Well, I'd still go full-speed-ahead just to make it a useful training day and to go for the finish, but maybe you're always aiming for the podium. Anyway, it would be a great learning exercise for me to have to change a tube in a race becasue it hasn't happened to me yet.

I always went with the idea that for many races you have an out & back bike course, so I could end up walking 10 miles on my cleats. Stuff that. I'd rather fix the puncture and carry on to T2. If you are worried about the extra weight of carrying a tube and pump, then simply tip two mouthfuls of the drink that you won't finish anyway onto the floor before you set off.

Punctures are part of triathlon, just like getting your goggles kicked off, blisters, cramp, bike glasses falling off, whatever. Personally I think we should just deal with it, not give up just because you don't have the 'perfect race'.

I'd probably consider a CO2 with sealant thingy though... I'm not a purist, so anything that makes the puncture fixes quicker would be welcome. I'd also still carry a spare tube. Have you heard of "Sod's Law"?
  • MrSquishyMrSquishy Posts: 277
    What's "ICE number" out of interest?
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    In Case of Emergency. You store an emergency contact number in your mobile under the name "ICE". Then if you're in an accident, someone else can phone the right person straight away by calling the ICE number rather than trying to guess who to call from your contacts list.