Home Chat General Chat

Bike Help!

Hi I am new to triathlon, I completed my first super sprint at the end of september on a cheap mountain bike and am now looking to buy my first road bike for both racing and training. I have been looking around on online shops and also on ebay and like the look of the Scott Speedsters, as money is a bit tight at the moment it would probably be the 2007 or 2008 S60 or S50. Has any one any opinions of these bikes or is there something better for a similar price?

My other problem is the size, I went to a local bike shop and asked their advice and was told I need a 56cm frame size, ( I am 178cm tall with an 84cm inside leg) but looking on the forum and on ebay some people are suggesting that a 54cm frame would be better?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• zoezoe Posts: 28
    I wouldn't trust what people have to say on ebay...!

There would usually be a small difference on frame size between makes, for example, my cannondale is a 50cm, whilst my Cervelo is a 48cm frame, both road bikes and both fit.

The sizing from your LBS would probally be the better bet to go with, but there will always be some tweeking with any new bike to get you into the right position.
  • Remember that quoted sizes are usually the seat post length but it's the top tube length that's important to how well the bike fits.

Re Scott bikes - IMHO they are very over priced for what you get. I'd look at Focus and Pinnacle bikes. Some of the odd balls like the Kiron are very good value but it depends on what you're after. Road bikes are more flexible for training and racing but a TT specific bike will give you a better race position in many cases.
  • Will

Have a look at Wiggle.co.uk, I bought the Focus Summit Road Bike from them last year and it's a fantastic bike for the money, £499 last year. Email them and they'll give you plenty of advice on good fit, and will even swap it out for another size if it's not suitable.

• WillWill Posts: 3
    Thanks for the help, I went to my LBS again and sat on a 56cm Scott which felt good so I think this is the size I need but have started looking at other brands (which the shop don't stock), are there any brands that are known for having bigger or smaller frames when stated as 56cm? For example if a 56cm Scott feels right would a 56cm Trek, Cannondale or Bianchi be much different?
  • Having tested one bike is good because you now know that a 56cm is about right. It's worth taking a note of the other dimensions (top tube, seat angle and so one) so you can compare more easily with other bikes.

Other things change with size too which some companies are more diligant at than others. Handle bar width and drop, stem length and height and crank length are the main ones I think. These are the things that make one 56cm frame fit where another may not.
  • abrewerabrewer Posts: 41
    check out the specialized allez as well. They are a bit common but come out really well in all the surveys for bikes in this price bracket. Lightest frame makes upgrade easy etc.....
  • abrewerabrewer Posts: 41
    ....or maybe a boardman comp for £600.

• JulesJules Posts: 987
    abrewer wrote:

check out the specialized allez as well. They are a bit common but come out really well in all the surveys for bikes in this price bracket. Lightest frame makes upgrade easy etc.....

I* have just bought one of these and it's very good. Apologies if it's common [:D]

*It's on ride 2 work, so when I say I, that refers to half of it. All the rest of you have paid for the other half. Many thanks! [;)]