Home Chat General Chat

cut-cost tips for tri

bennybenny Posts: 1,314
Seems like a lot of people are looking for cheap bikes, cheap wetsuits, cheap .... all of best possible quality. Most of us realise that you'll get what you pay for, so great bikes cost great money.[&o]

Therefore this thread; let's put on tips to save expenses on other things , in order to be able to still get that bling bike!![image]http://forum.220magazine.com/micons/m8.gif[/image][image]http://forum.220magazine.com/micons/m6.gif[/image]

Please add all you can think of, here some starters:

-make your own drinks for bike/run: half water, half juice and a pinch of salt for more drinkking and replacing electrolytes.

-replace that expensive recovery shake by choc milk,proven to be equaly good.

-skip those expensive IM-label races and do a local, cheaper and well organised race.( could do that 'real' IM later when saved money and more experienced).

Comments

• TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    Some great tips benny. I think your right, some of the biggest wastes of money I think are on drinks/foods/supplements that we don't really need. I have always championed a pint of milk and a banana as the best recovery! I think they talk about this in the new 220.

Also you can buy fructose etc. and make up your own drinks for cheap.

I'm not sure if I have anything to add, only that i made a pair of overshoes out of an old pair of socks!
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    this could degenerate into a Viz-esque top tips ... i'm tempted!
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    TommiTri wrote:

Some great tips benny. I think your right, some of the biggest wastes of money I think are on drinks/foods/supplements that we don't really need. I have always championed a pint of milk and a banana as the best recovery! I think they talk about this in the new 220.

Also you can buy fructose etc. and make up your own drinks for cheap.

I'm not sure if I have anything to add, only that i made a pair of overshoes out of an old pair of socks!

There is something in 220 about milk being underrated as a fitness drink.

Cheap tip - Aldi on a Thursday. A work colleague has bought various sports clothing very cheaply. Thursday is when all the special offer stuff gets put out apparantly.

• Top tip! - Invest a little time in learning how to service and fix your bike. I spent many years taking my mine to bike shops to get serviced and have only recently discovered how incredibly straight-forward it is to fix brakes, headsets, derailleurs and cabling etc. A mucky job certainly, but fantastically satisfying when it all goes back together again.
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    Top tip #3. don't hand in your swim cap at the end of a triathlon then you will amass a huge collection of laytex caps

Top tip #4. wrap your cheap over socks in gaffatape to substitute for neoprene overshoes

Top tip#5. Stop scrimping and actually spend some money on the blinking sport it may let you be faster! ....

• BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    Tip #6: Drag your lazy arse out of bed early enough that you can use that expensive bling machine to actually get yourself to work. My 50km each way covers some great training roads and saves me a tenner that I can spend on other stuff. Like phsyiotherapy, surgery, hydrotherapy and pain killers.

Tip #7: Buy running kit, swimming kit and cycling kit. Don't buy triathlon kit. As soon as the manufacturer writes 'Triathlon' on the packet the price doubles. 'Triathlon' track pump, inner tubes, screwdrivers and t-shirts, anyone?

Tip #8: Take a good hard look at yourself. Before you feel you absolutely MUST spend £tonnes just to save 11 grammes off your bike, think "Am I really at my optimal weight?". 'tis far cheaper to dodge a few pies 'n' pints.

• GHarvGHarv Posts: 456
    Tip #9: Tubi grip for compression?

Tip #10: Paint your bike red or black - bound to go faster and must be cheaper than a new bike - lol[8D][:@]
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    GHarv wrote:

Tip #9: Tubi grip for compression?

Please explain this, since this Belgian's knowledge of the English language doesn't understand this sentence.[:)]
  • GHarvGHarv Posts: 456
    Benny,

Tubi grip is an Elasticated tubular support bandage BP designed to provide firm, effective support for sprains, strains and weak joint and can usually be bought for about 4/5 euros per pack.

e.g. http://www.shopwiki.co.uk/detail/q=Tubigrip+Support+Bandage+-+size+E/d=Tubigrip+Support+Bandage+-+size+E/jumpToFirst=t/

G
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    Get your employer to join a bike2work scheme and save a packet.
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    #10. find a training partner and buy a tandem between yourselves,your tyre costs will half.

#11.when at the sports shop or any shop,initially offer to pay by credit card and then ask for discount for cash,as most stores have to pay a surcharge to some card companies.

#12.don't enter challenge rides etc,most routes are published,so do them on a different day and save on the entry fee,likewise with tri events (ok maybe that is too much)
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    Yeah, what Jules said, only louder.

Cycle2Work (run by Halford's, for goodness' sake) supplied me with a Dolan Mythos: Carbon everything, Ultegra everywhere and nice wheels for £1000... which I'm paying about £550 for over 18 months.

This leaves me some spare cash to spend on red carbon stuff. And porridge.

Anyway....

#13. Check your household and contents insurance to see what cover your bike gets. I was about to pay for bike cover for the new'un when I checked my house cover and found the bike is covered for theft (if it is locked) but also accidental damage up to £1500 (which would totally replace the bike) and 3rd party damage & claims up to £1M. No restrictions on cover during competitive use, either. Just a thought.

#14. Eat onions instead of apples. They are about the same size but much cheaper.

#15. Remove your doorbell batteries to save cash. Simply answer your door every 30 seconds to see if anybody is there.
  • nivaghnivagh Posts: 595
    Bopo, who is your insurer?

#16 carry your bike to work to save wear and tear on tyres and other parts.

#17 wear your wetsuit indoors so that you can turn the heating off

#18 always swim open water to avoid paying pool fees

#19 salvage parts from broken washing machines to build your own bike.....
  • sfullersfuller Posts: 628
    #20 Dont actually do Tri, just think and talk about it.
    #21-Make your own porridge (probably better when painted red), put some extra carbon fibre in it.

#22-Half coconuts make excellent helmets when used with duck tape (haven't figured out transition issues yet). You could share the other half with fellow triathletes, to push the price even further.

#23-Use the removed coconut-shell-ducktape as wax strips.[:o][:D]
    Use all your christmas and new year gift wrap paper to build your own disc wheel[image]http://forum.220magazine.com/micons/m8.gif[/image]
    GHarv wrote:

Benny,

Tubi grip is an Elasticated tubular support bandage BP designed to provide firm, effective support for sprains, strains and weak joint and can usually be bought for about 4/5 euros per pack.

Bought something similar to what GHarv wrote about at the chemist. Costed about 10€, which is a lot cheaper then the ones sold by all those fashy sport brands.

Wore them at my long run yesterday and 4 hours after that. Upper legs are a little sore this morning, but it's been over a year since I've ran that far, so no big worry. Calves are fine though, so maybe I should get full body compression clothing!?

Favourably in red carbon of course!
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    Save on the cost of sports drinks/food by doing a sponsored TRI and ask companies for donations!
  • GGBGGB Posts: 482
    Sports direct were selling Campri Thermal pants and Long sleeve thermal tops - £5.99 each original price £19.99 - I saw them in local shop and bought the last in my size and just ordered a few more pairs online - though now they have stopped listing it - Your local Sports Direct may have some left. Great fo rthese cold winter rides and running.

Bought running shorts from Tchibo - bargain £5.99 -

Some of these shops sell good stuff cheap - no need to spend a fortune when you are just starying out ;)

• Funnily enough if you go to an urban TK Maxx store you'd be amazed at what you can pick up.

Running tights (mainly new balance) for £8, thermal layers for £9 to £12, Cycling jackets for £20 etc etc.

Really worth popping along if you're after a new winter wardrobe.

BTW - Hello everyone, newbie here!