Home Chat General Chat

Training for first Tri - Pains in Shins

Hi there

I'm training for my first Tri in July (Ironbridge Sprint). Running is definately my weakest discipline. I've noticed that when I first start running I have pains in my shins then after a while (5-10mins) they dissappear. Before returning for a couple of hours after my run (just doing 5km at moment). If I run my hands down the bone afterwards I notice a painfull patch. This only occurs on my right leg (on which I had an ACL 8 years ago) I was wondering if anyone else had experienced such pains? What are they?

How can I get rid of them? I really am appalling at running and was hoping to be building up my training, it will be a real blow if have to stop, but then again, I'd rather not cause myself any irreprable damage. Just thought I'd ask here first b4 bothering my GP.

Additional Info:

Running shoes using were bought from runners need so had a treadmill test etc and are fairly new (3mths)

(My training consists of running 3-4 times a week, swimming 2-3 times, cycling everyday (12km commute) + 20km at weekend - all of these are small sessions (0.5hr-1hr exercise) planning to cut down on frequency and build up time + combinations over coming weeks.)

Thanks for any help

Rob

Comments

• BonusBBonusB Posts: 279
    Potentially this could be shin splints which a few other members here have suffered from. Personally I'm not that knowledgable but a useful thread was http://forum.220magazine.com/tm.asp?m=1868

I can't remember if it was something I read here or else where but when your training vary the stress you place through your shins; it's been said that basketball players never get shin splints (never heard of rugby players getting them either from my own experience) because they constantly very the directional sresses placed on the shin (i.e. running is a constant motion on the leg whereas both rugby and basketball involve far more variance in direction and travel) and it may benefit you to when training to do something similair. Sorry I cant remember more off the top of my head, hopefully Phil or Jojo may be able to offer more advice, amongst others.
  • WellaWella Posts: 188
    Hi Rob,

Like you running isn't my best and I used to get muscular pains in my shins when training for other sports in the past.

Since starting triathlon training I have incorporated Calf Raises and Toe Raises into my weight training to build up the lower leg muscles. The Toe Raises really work the muscle and so far I've not had any pains during my run training.

Sit on a bench and place a dumbell across your instep. Raise your toes by pivoting on the heel and keeping the leg in the same position. I use a 12kg dumbell and complete 2 sets of 12 reps.

Good luck.
  • DOtriHarderDOtriHarder Posts: 307
    Hi robby

I have had Shin splints and you don't want to suffer like that. cut back your speed and distance on the runs. the suggested calf and toe raises are a good idea; you can do toe raises just by lifting your toes up so that you stand on your heels, try doing that 20 times, then build up.

try running of road, the repetitive stresses are less and it will build up the lateral muscles as well, giving you more defence against injury in the future.

If the pain eases after an initial period it means you need to gently stretch the muscles out first, try running sideways, backwards and skipping to warm up before your run

if it doesn't ease off you need to see a Physio.

David
  • robsaundrobsaund Posts: 26
    I'm new to Tri myself and am still in training for my first event, but I, like you, find the running the hardest. I used to run (just for fitness, no competition) years ago and suffered the same problem. It came down to pounding the pavements. You'll need to give them time to "heal" (R-I-C-E), but try and run on grass or tracks, rather than the hard stuff. Also google for shinsplints (or "shin splints") - there's a mine of information out there explaining what it is with some proposed remedies/fixes etc... which you might find relates exactly to your problem.

Having been through this before I am more conscious now of it when I'm out and try whereever possible to get on grass and take it easier. Better to finish slowly than not at all...

Good luck

Rob

• JasonWJasonW Posts: 4
    You almost certainly have shin splints. I've suffered with the same problem all year and only now are they starting to improve after total rest for six weeks in January and then a gradual build up of run intensity with lots of specific strengthening exercises specific to my problem)

I'd recommend you to see a physio for a proper assessment. I did and was given a load of exercises to do to strengthen my ankles, calves, glutes, etc. I'm also trying to improve my running style to land more lightly on my forefoot.

Everyone has an opinion on shin splints! Best to see an expert and get advise specific to your problem.

• RockmonkeyRockmonkey Posts: 14
    Hiya

I solve my shin splints by getting my other half to run their elbow down my shin ! Hurts like heck but it's the treatment my physio used to employ.

The other solutions like toe raises have also helped tremendously but like others I'd say speak to a professional.

Good luck [:D]
  • andyb99andyb99 Posts: 229
    i had this problem when i used to play football...a pro is the only way to go.....he'll probably advise building up your distance with treadmill work and short (sub 1 mile) runs outside....but honestly, three weeks with a decent physio (or remedial masseur) and you'll be ok....but get it seen to...cause without help, it will get worse mate
  • garyrobertsgaryroberts Posts: 869
    Ironbridge Sprint

Hi Robby, just going off on a tangent.....who runs the ironbridge sprint? I live in telford.
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    I put some ice on mine, seemed to do wonders.
  • ipay1980ipay1980 Posts: 84
    it could be being caused by tight calfs and tights muscles to the sides of your shins (forgotten what they are called). so really make sure they are not too tight. too stretch the muscles at the front, you kind of point your toes forward and inwards. Thankfully the calfes are relatively easy to give a bit of massage a go yourself, and also the muscle to the front.

i recently got a foam roller, that is brilliant for sorting tight leg muscles.

• md6md6 Posts: 969
    It could be as everyone has suggested shin splints. But if you're lcky then you could have caught it early enough so you are just about to develop them. As others have said, calf and toe raises are good, but your calf is probably quite tight, so you have to strech lots. Try hanging your heels over the end of a step and lower yourself hold at the bottom to strech out the muscle. if the bottom of your calf is tight then bend the knee forward a little. Oh and rice it too.
  • sfullersfuller Posts: 628
    this is bringing an old thread from the dead isn't it...