Home Chat General Chat

Sports Massage

Hi all!

Still struggling with the back injury, muscles going into spasm occasionally is causing the biggest problem! I am going to start some running tonight, as I think it would be best to start a bit of exercise, and I can't stop watching the hawaii highlights and its driving me nuts!

anyway, back to the question, has anyone had any experience of sports massage? I live close by to a sports injury clinic, offering acupuncture, massage etc. But at a considerable price. I am willing to pay it if it will speed my recovery! So any experiences people have had will help!

Thanks, Tommy T

Comments

• GHarvGHarv Posts: 456
    Type in foam rollering on google may help?

Its a form of massage you can do yourself with a foam roller.

Being tight i've been using a bromm handle with insulating foam over it and seems to do a job on legs?

May work for backs.

Also heard of a similar thing and using a tennis ball.

Glad you like the hawaii links the song is guru josh infinity - must download it - i've been watching the highlights on the turbo!!

G

• woodywoody Posts: 52
    I have a foam roller, quite cheap www.physiosupplies.com and use it quite a bit, but doesn't compare to the work that a good trained massage therapist can do. I use both, and the therapist can apply more direct pressure where required, but for a generall relax the roller is great, also use after a run on the IT band.
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    My neighbour is a Physiotherapist and from time to time he offers a full sports massage - nothing dodgy ! It hurts at the time and it hurts more the next day but its great! I think they call it stripping out as in the legs are stripped of all lactate and toxins
  • GHarvGHarv Posts: 456
    Woody - what size roller would you recommend?

G
  • I suffered for two years with a painful shoulder injury after getting hit by a car. But once I went for (an admittedly painful!!) sports massage I have never looked back...and it's been 3 years since then!

Go for it!
  • woodywoody Posts: 52
    GHarv wrote:

Woody - what size roller would you recommend?

G

I have the 6inch version. seems to be the size that most physios use.

• I haven't used "sports massage" as such, though I'm not really sure what that is. But I have on occasion used the local sport physio yo deal with muscle pulls, and to get me through the worst of the recovery of my Achilles Tendinitis. I would use him for every little niggle I got if I could afford it. As it is I'm on the NHS waiting lists for the rest of the Achilles problems.

I had back muscle spasm last year and got that sorted at a chiropractor. Hurt like hell, when she jumped on my hip and I resisted it, was ok when I relaxed. What both of the practitioners did do though was recommend exercises that would help sort and prevent the injuries I had. In fact, the chiropractor sorted out my lower back spasm, and some really knotted back and shoulder muscles sorted themselves when my lower back was sorted.

Some people swear by acupuncture, I'm sceptical as all the research I've seen seems to indicate it's no better than a placebo. I have had a personal recommendation from a friend who got his back sorted with acupuncture after months of failed physio. The physio worked for me though so I didn't need to test my faith..

both the physio and chiropractor charged my £35 a session, which I think is reasonable, but it does add up.