Home Chat General Chat

RPM v HRM v Effort

Its that time of the year when indoor session in the garage are the norm, using my "poor mans" turbo trainer - an exercise bike.

I use the bike with a few dvd's (spinervals, rick kiddell, etc), but never seem to get the balance right between RPM, HRM and RPE (rate of percieved effort).

If I try for a high RPM, with a high RPE, my HRM goes through the roof.

If I try to match my RPM to the required HRM for the relevant section, I have to lower the RPE.

and many other permatations of the above.

Question: Which 2 indicatiors should take priority ?

I assume that either I have a high resting HRM, or the balance my get better as I get better tuned to the sessions.

Thanks

Comments

• treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    Use average speed and keep everything else the same. Best of all is watts ie power output. Why not fit a cyclo computer to your exercise bike
  • bathtubbathtub Posts: 280
    Trudger

At this time of year, during my turbo training I concentrate on RPM and HR.

If you are using an exercise bike your RPM and HR are actual measurements so I would be tempted to go with those two.

Have you considered buying a turbo, the Tacx Flow is a good choice as it includes watts output as well as speed cadence and heart rate.
  • Thanks for the advice.

Unfortunatly swapping to a turbo traininer is not an option.

I can control the session using the RPM display on the bike and my HRM watch, so will use these readings as the limits.

Thanks