Home Chat General Chat

How best to promote a club?

Hello all

I joined my local club in the Summer and we're trying to get together some ideas and some momentum to drive forward the membership and local awareness. We're considering running a TT, or a hill climb, and promoting the club through other local events but there's no real groundswell at the moment.

Does anybody have experience of trying to promote their club - what channels have you found work best; what doesn't work?

Thanks!

The club is Harworth and District Cycling Club - www.hdcc.co.uk

Comments

• ardkeenardkeen Posts: 152
    You need to work on your website, if you are trying to attract new members, add some colour. Local papers are a good option, run an event and dedicate some of the proceeds to a local charity, get a local celeb to start the event. Loads of ways really.

• BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Contact your local paper/regional news programme, invite a journalist along for a taster/race/Sunday ride, offer it as an ideal way to lose weight before Christmas..or after, you may get a series of articles & mentions. Link with your local leisure centre, primary care trust, schools.
  • nivaghnivagh Posts: 595

Thanks.

On a related note, can anybody recommend a kit manufacturer?
  • GHarvGHarv Posts: 456
    The club near us did a come tri TT day about 30/40 turned up?

On a seperate note i see your playing in 2 forums!!!
  • I work in health club sales and we use referrals from existing members as the most successful source of new members. Adopt the same principles with your members - if you charge a weekly fee for training sessions then for one week allow everyone to bring a freind for free, this way they can experience everything you pay for - the training, the challenge, the banter. Not everyone will go on to join but out of 10 people who try it out I would think 1 or 2 would. The best thing with this is that your 'free friend' will be pre qualified on the basis that they enjoy either running, swimming or cycling and they are not likely to turn up if they have no interest. You can also offer incentives to existing members who bring in new members i.e. £10 off your renewal for each new member you bring to the club.
  • nivaghnivagh Posts: 595
    Thanks again.

Yes, I have cross-posted (on this occasion) - the two forums in question seem to attract different members and I wanted to cast my net wide!
  • GHarvGHarv Posts: 456
    Just pulling your leg...

G